Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Booting hangs unless pressing keys after 8.10 upgrade

Beans

Booting hangs unless pressing keys after 8.10 upgrade

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone now has the same weird problem as myself.

Upon booting the system stalls/hangs multiple times during the boot process, it does this for an infinite amount of time until I press a key.

I am currently pressing the enter time about 20 times just to get it to boot. It stalls at the Sata, Ata, Network initialisation, swap file stages to name just a few. Not sure if this is related, but it starts doing this after "Clocksource tsc unstable" after Ata detection.

I also get the 4GB Aperture problem but I don't think these are related.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
    Elaar

Beans

Re: Booting hangs unless pressing keys after 8.10 upgrade

Right, it now boots flawlessly but only with acpi=off, which isn't an ideal solution as i'm using it on a laptop. I can't see the power/recharge bar and obviously I have no energy saving facilities.

Beans

This happens to me with my HP DV6000 laptop as well. Not a show stopper, but I can't start the system and leave it to startup on its own. It's the only hitch in the entire upgrade process from 8.04

Beans

Another issue: when I close the lid of the laptop, it goes to sleep well. When I reopen, it turns the computer on and immediately locks. This means it's effectively useless in a university environment (opening and closing it a bunch, tossing it into my bag, etc..)

I dropped to a console to see the bootup sequence when this happened, and after every item it pauses... no matter what it is (usb, keymappings, etc). This seems to happen UNTIL the acpi is loaded.

It's obvious that it's something to do with power management that's causing this, since both areas deal with that directly. If I could get that fixed all would be well and I could look into using it fulltime. Because it's not, I'll have to keep vista around, at least for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by elaar View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone now has the same weird problem as myself.

Upon booting the system stalls/hangs multiple times during the boot process, it does this for an infinite amount of time until I press a key.

I am currently pressing the enter time about 20 times just to get it to boot. It stalls at the Sata, Ata, Network initialisation, swap file stages to name just a few. Not sure if this is related, but it starts doing this after "Clocksource tsc unstable" after Ata detection.

I also get the 4GB Aperture problem but I don't think these are related.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
    Elaar
    I am having exactly the same problems including the message about the 4GB Aperture problem. I just upgraded my ubuntu to 8.10 from 8.04 on an AMD 64 machine.

Any suggestions?

Beans

I just want to get on record saying that I am also having these exact problems, both boot stalling/errors and freezing on suspend. This worked fine in Hardy. I have an HP dv9750us laptop. I'm going to look into downgrading power management tools to see if there's a temporary fix...

Beans

Ditto for the problem for me. I had this issue with the LiveCD as well. My hanging starts as soon as the Boot Splash starts. I have to keep pressing keys in order to boot. And 8.10 doesn't poweroff, either, for me.

This is a laptop so acpi=off isn't ideal. Still having the problem after the kernel upgrade.

Hopes someone comes up with a solution!

KermitJr

Edit: Here are two others with similar issue:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=965334
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=964041
    Last edited by KermitJr; November 5th, 2008 at 03:38 AM.

Beans

Just wanted to add my voice to this:; same problem of hanging during boot, both from LiveCD and from install (both upgrade from 8.04, and clean 8.10 install).

If I keep pressing keys until it boots, it will eventually show the login screen, but mouse nor keyboard will work

Beans

I have the same problem with my HP Pavilion dv6000.
    Progress bar in bootsplash freezes and only move while a key is pressed (even a ctrl or shift keys).
    When the login screen appears, everything begin to work ok.
    It happens with live CD as well with the installed version.
    Last edited by wribeiro; November 5th, 2008 at 02:54 PM.

Beans

With recent update, I noticed it isn't quite as bad... that is, I only have to hit the key on 2 or 3 hangs vice the whole thing... Anyone got ideas?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast