Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realtek 8111/8168 Onboard LAN Problem with 10.04 and Windows 7 dual boot

Beans

Realtek 8111/8168 Onboard LAN Problem with 10.04 and Windows 7 dual boot

Hello. Sorry if the info I'm trying to find is already out there, but I've looked for a while, and I think I just need somebody to un-confuse me slightly.

Until today I had been using Ubuntu 9.10, and everything was just fine. I installed 10.04 (64-bit desktop) and now I can't get my on-board LAN to work, unless I completely power down my machine, unplug the power and LAN cables, and then boot straight into Ubuntu. Did I mention I'm dual-booting with Windows 7? I think that's important.

This is a Realtek 8111/8168 controller in a Gigabyte motherboard. It seems previous Realtek LAN's have had problems dual booting because when Windows shuts down it puts them in some kind of state that is unusable to Linux. It has something to do with a wake-on-lan setting, but I can't figure out how to turn it off.

I guess in a way this is more of a Windows 7 question. Sorry. I would ask Microsoft, but I have a feeling they aren't going to be very sympathetic.

I guess I have a solution with the full-blown power down, but I would like a better one. Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Realtek 8111/8168 Onboard LAN Problem with 10.04 and Windows 7 dual boot

Just as an addendum, I would like to highlight the fact that I had no problem under Ubuntu 9.10 even though Windows was presumably doing its wake-on-LAN thing then. This tells me that it should be possible for Ubuntu to straighten out the state of the LAN hardware itself.

I would like to find a way to tell Windows that it can bother me all it wants while it's running, but it has to behave while it isn't, but I would also be interested in finding a way to fix this within Ubuntu.

Beans

I am in similar situations, my mobo is P7P55D-E Dulexe, and my network card is Realtek 8112L. I am just preparing to install the new Ubuntu 10.04. Now you make me worry.

To turn off Wake-on-lan in windows, go the Device manager as an administrator and choose your network card and then click the tab of power management, there is an "wake-on-lan" option you can un-select.

Please try it and let me know if that solves the problem.
    Thanks.

Beans

Okay, I'm trying to do what you suggest, but in Windows I'm not really sure where the line is between running as administrator or not. There's no "sudo" that is either there or isn't. I have an administrator account, and there's a little shield next to the device manager. So I think I'm getting it at administrator level.

Then I uncheck the box next to "Allow this device to wake the computer" in the power management tab. I haven't tried booting Linux yet, because if I simply reboot Windows, the box is checked again. It won't keep the setting.

I'm thinking my problem may be a bit unusual. I tried a different machine last night with a Gigabyte mobo, realtek LAN, and I could dual boot 10.04 and Win 7 without any problem. I didn't even have to change any of the LAN settings. You might be okay. I've just got something strange happening with Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: Realtek 8111/8168 Onboard LAN Problem with 10.04 and Windows 7 dual boot

Maybe you could play a little with your BIOS settings like disabling completely Power Management (worthy if it is not a laptop) and mainly disabling Booting from Network option(which in older computers may be referred as PXE agent also).

Beans

Just found this:

http://www.jamesonwilliams.com/hardy-r8168

I'm going to give that a try rather than expecting Windows to ever work. I'll report back when I can.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hello guys,

some confusions there: windows work on its own partition and cant interfere with an other Os on an other partition

the "wake on lan" thing is a setting into your bios, so turn it off.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

try first to power off (unplugged wire) your pc, modem, router, wait 2 minutes then plug them back (general reinit)

maybe something to follow:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=702289
    Last edited by dino99; April 30th, 2010 at 04:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

found a tweak to apply with windows:

Wake on Lan after shutdown --> enable (advanced devices)

Beans

Okay that script worked like a charm.

Everything works now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast