Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UNR 9.10 Eee 701 "Disk is being used outside design parameters"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

UNR 9.10 Eee 701 "Disk is being used outside design parameters"

Many other people seem to have had this problem in Karmic with the Eee 701 and the Dell Mini 9 but I can't respond to that thread as it's in a closed forum:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1280693

I installed UNR 9.10 two days ago (a fresh install from USB rather than an upgrade).

Recently it notified me that "One or more disks are failing" and in big red scary letters:

4.0 GB Hard Disk - ATA SILICONMOTION SM223AC
    DISK IS BEING USED OUTSIDE DESIGN PARAMETERS

It seems to think this is a serious error. Oddly there's no indication that it's aware I have a solid-state drive.

The filesystem on the disk is the default ext4.

Upon delving deeper into the 'Palimpsest Disk Utility' I get a list of "attributes" shown in the attached screenshot.

Please let me know whether this is as serious as it makes it out to be and/or whether you want more information.

I'm very pleased with Karmic on the Eee in all other respects! Particularly sound support.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Re: UNR 9.10 Eee 701 "Disk is being used outside design parameters"

Update: I seem only to get this warning when resuming the Eee from Suspend mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm having the same issue with the same computer under the same circumstances. Makes me think this is a bug in 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah. Me to. Any news.
    Did you notice the installation process was extremely long as well? More than 1 hour. And that there seemed to be problems specifically during installation when gparted had to start.

Beans
    Distro

Installation was actually pretty quick for me - once I worked out that I couldn't upgrade - did you upgrade from 9.04 or install afresh from USB?

Still no info then...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've heard somewhere, can't remember where. That people who had ubuntu 9.04 with ext4 and upgraded rather than doing a fresh install (as I did), don't have these problems. Now that's strange.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i get this after resuming from suspend on a UNR 701 clean install running with ext3 filesystem
    installing smart-notifier fixes it for me (so far)

Beans

I am having this exact problem also on my Eee PC 701 with UNR 9.10

I have just installed 'smart-notifier' and rebooted. Will let my Eee go into suspend mode and bring it back to see if that has actually resolved it for me too. Will report back

Update: Ok, at first install 'smart-notifier' appeared to fix the problem, as it didn't appear instantly after coming back from being suspended. It did still appear randomly later on though. So I guess that solution doesn't work (or at least, not for everyone).
    Last edited by webweaver; November 14th, 2009 at 01:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Kind of off topic, but do you folks running the Eee 701 have any issues with 9.10? Both of my Eee 1000 netbooks have had tons of issues with suspending and the wifi and such. I had to use eee-control on 9.04 to get everything to work, but there doesn't seem to be a real 9.10 version of eee-control, and nothing else wants to work. Have you had these issues and resolved them? I'm planning on rolling back this weekend if I can't figure it out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tars_ac View Post
    Kind of off topic, but do you folks running the Eee 701 have any issues with 9.10? Both of my Eee 1000 netbooks have had tons of issues with suspending and the wifi and such. I had to use eee-control on 9.04 to get everything to work, but there doesn't seem to be a real 9.10 version of eee-control, and nothing else wants to work. Have you had these issues and resolved them? I'm planning on rolling back this weekend if I can't figure it out.
    I personally haven't had any issues so far, besides the one mentioned in this thread.

In fact, I had no trouble with 9.04 on my Eee 701 either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast