Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Microsoft Office 2007 (Updated at Wine 1.1.17)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

HOW-TO: Microsoft Office 2007 (Updated at Wine 1.1.24)

Most, if not all, of this is taken from Wine's AppDB entry for Office 2007 install: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=4992

First, some notes (can skip, but don't say I didn't warn you!):

1. Make sure that you do NOT have any other applications installed/used winetricks. This guide is not designed to account for all the situations of your wine installation, but may still work (give it a shot!).
      If you really need Office 2007, while keeping your normal wine directory intact, you can always change the wine prefix during installation. Simply type
      Code:
      WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_office2007
      before any command that starts with wine in this guide.
    2. This guide only works for wine versions 1.1.3 or later. This is not the version that is normally in Ubuntu (1.0.1).
    3. NOTE: THIS IS NO LONGER VALID STARTING WINE 1.1.24!:
      Sadly the 1.1.23 wine version does not allow you to install Office 2007 due to a regression. To remedy this, we will install an earlier version.

Now to install it:
    1. First you need to add the wine development repository. Wine's website has a wonderful guide on how to do this at http://winehq.org/download/deb . You will actually NEED to install wine 1.1.24+ to get office to install correctly
      After you add the repository, open your package manager (synaptic/adept) and do an upgrade of wine. Now open a terminal and type
      Code:
      wine --version
      to make sure that wine reports
      Code:
      wine-1.1.24
    2. Now pop in your Office 2007 CD, open it with your file manager, find the file called Setup.exe, and double click it. The setup should work completely. NOTE: Due to some bugs in wine, you cannot go back to the install wizard to change which programs to install, so make sure to get everything on the first go.
      For those of you that want to do an alternate prefix install, you would need to mount your cd-rom drive (it will be somewhere in /media), and do:
      Code:
      WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_office2007 wine Setup.exe

Now you have Office 2007 installed (and you should be able to run most programs). There are two small tweaks to wine that you need to do to make it run a little better. Open up the wine configuration:
    Code:
    winecfg
    (Yes, this means add WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_office2007, if you need to!)

Make sure that the Windows Version is set to Windows XP (Applications Tab).
    In the Libraries section, you need to add two overrides: "riched20" and "usp10". To do this, simply type the the names (no quotes) into the dropdown-looking textbox, and click "Add". Repeat this for both of the overrides, and you are done!

This will get you to a point of (almost) Word/Excel perfection. However, several things will not work. Here are the things that don't work and how to solve the problem (if a solution exists):
    • Service Pack n doesn't install. It doesn't. Still working on it.
    • Excel crashes on start. This relates to not being able to open the user name dialog. Just exit excel (and run `wineserver -k` to make sure its gone), then start word, fill in your name and exit word. Start excel again, and it should work. (Thanks Mack1)
    • Powerpoint does not start (crashes). Make sure you set the riched20 override in winecfg.
    • Access does not start. You need to install MSVC2005 Libraries:
      Get winetricks:
      Code:
      wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
      chmod +x winetricks
      Run (and change prefix if need be):
      Code:
      ./winetricks vcrun2005
    • My fonts look weird/always bold. If this is about Calibri looking weird - it is a known bug. As for Arial looking bold or not showing up, you need to do
      Code:
      ./winetricks corefonts
    • Thesaurus does not work. You need the windows scripting host. Use winetricks (how to get above) and run:
      Code:
      ./winetricks wsh56js
      and also open winecfg and set jscript to native.
    • How do I default programs to opening in Office 2007?
      Here is an example of how to do it for word:
      • Kubuntu:
        System Settings->Advanced->File Associations->Search for "word"
        For each of application/msword, application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document:
        Click on it. Click "+ Add" on the right side. Type:
        Code:
        wine "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2007\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" "`winepath -w \"%U\"`"
        in the textbox, and click ok. (NOTE: Your path may be different. Just make sure you can start word by doing `wine "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2007\Office12\WINWORD.EXE"`, and otherwise find the correct path by browsing through ~/.wine/drive_c. Thanks sukumade.) Make sure the new entry (it will be called wine) is on top. Feel free to select it and click edit to change the name/icon, etc.
      • Ubuntu:
        Someone care to contribute? (I use kubuntu, so I can't test). The command should be the same.

• Bullets don't show/bad stuff relating to. Install wine 1.1.23 from http://winehq.org/download/deb , or if you have access to a windows installation, copy symbol.ttf to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts .
    • Can't open documents created in Office <=2003 with equations in them. Known issue. Only the equation ribbon will work.
    • {Something from another application embedded in document} does not work/crashes when opened. Known issue. This relates to charts, equations (not ribbon), and a slew of other features (Insert->Object).

I hope this helps people, as you most definitely do not need to download/install anything other than wine to get Office installed.

Comments & criticism welcome.

NOTE: THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE OUTDATED SINCE WINE 1.1.24, USE THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS; THESE ARE HERE FOR REFERENCE.
    1. Office 2007 requires the latest development release of wine. As is noted above however, this will have to be done in 2 steps. First, we download wine version 1.1.16 (links from http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html) (Note to Jaunty users - there is no 1.1.16 specifically for jaunty, so we use intrepid's. It works fine)

2. Once you downloaded the file (anywhere will do), just double click it, and let it install. NOTE: If you already have wine 1.1.17/1.1.18/1.1.19/1.1.20/1.1.21/1.1.22/1.1.23 installed, you will have to uninstall it first (use synaptic/adept)
      Now you should have wine 1.1.16 installed. If you want to verify this, open up a terminal and type in
      Code:
      wine --version
      which should report: wine-1.1.16
    3. Now pop in your Office 2007 CD, open it with your file manager, find the file called Setup.exe, and double click it. The setup should work completely. NOTE: Due to some bugs in wine, you cannot go back to the install wizard to change which programs to install, so make sure to get everything on the first go.
      For those of you that want to do an alternate prefix install, you would need to mount your cd-rom drive (it will be somewhere in /media), and do:
      Code:
      WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_office2007 wine Setup.exe
    4. After you complete the installation, I strongly suggest adding the wine development repository. Wine's website has a wonderful guide on how to do this at http://winehq.org/download/deb . You will actually NEED to install wine 1.1.17+ to get symbols/bullets to work correctly.
      After you add the repository, open your package manager (synaptic/adept) and do an upgrade of wine.
    Last edited by NightMKoder; June 21st, 2009 at 03:47 PM.

Beans

Smile Re: HOW-TO: Microsoft Office 2007 (Updated at Wine 1.1.17)

Thanks for this great HOW-TO.

I basically followed it from beginning to end, although I did have a bit of an issue when I was setting the default applications to open. My installation of Office was in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\" instead of "Microsoft Office 2007". It threw me off for a second until I tried to run it via the terminal and it said the path did't exist.

Anyways, thanks for the wonderful write-up. With the regression issue with 1.1.17 I was a bit stumped as to the best solution, but this was it.

Take care!

Beans
    Distro

Re: HOW-TO: Microsoft Office 2007 (Updated at Wine 1.1.17)

Good to see it was (relatively) painless for you. I added the bit about the path being different. Thanks for the tip.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks! Wouldn't have been able to install anything without this awesome guide !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

OK, so I got the 2007 suite installed and all the apps launch fine and work fine save for Outlook 2007.

I've been fighting with wine 1.1.15, 1.1.16 and 1.1.17 for the past few days across several distros and in all instances, any app that I try to install that requires network support to function, fails.

Take Outlook 2007 for example - trying to setup the mapi profile to connect to Exchange fails during the autodiscover process and if I choose to manually configure the settings, the server can't be found.

running iexplore.exe that's included with the wine install works fine and brings up the winehq page however - how frustrating! I'm so close!!!

Right now I'm running 1.1.16 following this HOW-TO - I haven't upgraded to 1.1.17 yet. I just installed IE7 and I get the Cannot find "%ws" message.

I copied over pine.exe from my XP install and tried to ping several server name by IP, netbios name and fqdn. All result in in an Error 5 complaining about no TCP/IP stack!!!!

How can the installed version of IE with wine work to bring up winehq but any other app that needs network support not work?!?!?

~griff

Beans

Thanks dude for helping me out and for the awesome guide cause even tho i run windows on this computer one of my employee on his comp he runs Ubuntu so i got it so that we wouldn't have to mess around with his comp. Thank you so much now we got his computer working with office 2007!

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: HOW-TO: Microsoft Office 2007 (Updated at Wine 1.1.17)

Thanks

Just one little thing - In order to get Access working first i installed vcrun2005 with winetricks as stated above however i was still getting errors:

Could not find dependent assembly L"AceDAO"
    import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office12\\MSACCESS.EXE") not found

I finally hit on this solution:

Amend the manifest file for access msaccess.exe.manifest found in [Your Wine Prefix]../Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12 and remove the dependency reference to AceDAO, ie amend the file and remove the following lines:

<dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="AceDAO" version="12.0.0.0" language="*" processorArchitecture="X86">
    </assemblyIdentity>
    </dependentAssembly>
    </dependency>

At least i can run it now - Office version is Office Enterprise

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by griffter View Post
    OK, so I got the 2007 suite installed and all the apps launch fine and work fine save for Outlook 2007.

I've been fighting with wine 1.1.15, 1.1.16 and 1.1.17 for the past few days across several distros and in all instances, any app that I try to install that requires network support to function, fails.

Take Outlook 2007 for example - trying to setup the mapi profile to connect to Exchange fails during the autodiscover process and if I choose to manually configure the settings, the server can't be found.

running iexplore.exe that's included with the wine install works fine and brings up the winehq page however - how frustrating! I'm so close!!!

Right now I'm running 1.1.16 following this HOW-TO - I haven't upgraded to 1.1.17 yet. I just installed IE7 and I get the Cannot find "%ws" message.

I copied over pine.exe from my XP install and tried to ping several server name by IP, netbios name and fqdn. All result in in an Error 5 complaining about no TCP/IP stack!!!!

How can the installed version of IE with wine work to bring up winehq but any other app that needs network support not work?!?!?

~griff
    I'm guessing windows has some sort of layer that it uses to connect to exchange that wine probably doesn't implement. Post the log output of the part when it fails. Also, if you want to run ping, you must do it as root, and then it somewhat works. Sadly you can't use your own wineprefix so you must hack around it:
    Code:
    $ sudo -i
    # cd your_windows_install_location/system32
    # WINEPREFIX=/root/.wine wine ping.exe google.com
    Wine AppDB shows that outlook just doesn't work, and it doesn't seem like a lot of people are trying to get it to work.

Duds:
    It seems like you're still getting the vc runtime files error (msvcr80 is part of the runtime). (If you care to try) do `winetricks vcrun2005sp1` and see if that helps.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NightMKoder View Post
    I'm guessing windows has some sort of layer that it uses to connect to exchange that wine probably doesn't implement. Post the log output of the part when it fails.
    Here's the output when it fails:
    Object
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {529a9e6b-6587-4f23-ab9e-9c7d683e3c50} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {529a9e6b-6587-4f23-ab9e-9c7d683e3c50} could be created for context 0x1
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {529a9e6b-6587-4f23-ab9e-9c7d683e3c50} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {529a9e6b-6587-4f23-ab9e-9c7d683e3c50} could be created for context 0x1
    fixme:winhttp:receive_response authentication not supported
    fixme:winhttp:set_credentials unimplemented authentication scheme 10
    wineserver crashed, please enable coredumps (ulimit -c unlimited) and restart.

It looks like 1.1.18 is going to support RPC over HTTPS which is what the autodiscover service for Outlook uses.
    http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.1.18
    Last edited by griffter; March 28th, 2009 at 04:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by griffter View Post
    Here's the output when it fails:
    Object
    fixme:winhttp:receive_response authentication not supported
    fixme:winhttp:set_credentials unimplemented authentication scheme 10
    wineserver crashed, please enable coredumps (ulimit -c unlimited) and restart.

It looks like 1.1.18 is going to support RPC over HTTPS which is what the autodiscover service for Outlook uses.
    http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.1.18
    You seem to be right. That guid corresponds to TF_ThreadMgr, which was implemented in 1.1.18. Tell us how it goes (and report it on appdb too).

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast