Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [howto] tweaking a livecd in order to blacklist offending kernel modules

Beans

Re: [howto] tweaking a livecd in order to blacklist offending kernel modules

Quote Originally Posted by pablomme View Post
    I think our laptops are different, then. Mine has an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 card.

I didn't notice any other problems on the laptop, but again my focus was on the network-manager issue, so there may be other broken things and I just didn't realize..

Your fan problem reminds me of the one time I tried OpenSolaris, whose kernel doesn't have a cpufreq equivalent and the CPU frequency remained at its maximum, with the fan trying to cool it down constantly. Perhaps you should try to force-load the cpufreq module?

Anyway, between my laptop and my desktop (which suffers from a Radeon driver problem in Intrepid) this is going to be an "interesting" update process..
    heh, i dont know why i thought all laptops affected by the sdhci fiasco were the same.

the cpu is throtling ok, ive got an applet that says so , anyway, right now the problem has gone away (???) there seems to be a race condition that doesnt happen when NM is not there quite an odd problem.

there are other issues concenring alsa not shutting down nicely and bootup network configuration through /etc/network/interfaces being really slow when a network isnt available during boot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hey! I was wondering how your experience with Intrepid is going so far.

On my laptop I do find weirdnesses from time to time. I think I'm having your fan problem too, it happens at random and not very often. When it happens, my temperature sensor applet disappears from the gnome panel. I just had another weird problem where the system suddenly decided that the battery was completely empty (it was full, and the laptop charger was plugged in) and went into suspend...

Coincidentally, a friend of mine has a laptop with your wireless card which I configured to use the legacy rt73 driver and rutilt for management, after remembering what you had posted here. Heh..

Beans

Hey! I was wondering how your experience with Intrepid is going so far.

On my laptop I do find weirdnesses from time to time. I think I'm having your fan problem too, it happens at random and not very often. When it happens, my temperature sensor applet disappears from the gnome panel. I just had another weird problem where the system suddenly decided that the battery was completely empty (it was full, and the laptop charger was plugged in) and went into suspend...

Coincidentally, a friend of mine has a laptop with your wireless card which I configured to use the legacy rt73 driver and rutilt for management, after remembering what you had posted here. Heh..

hey, good news. i found a solution to most problems. its called arch.

yes, i got fed up waiting for some developer to even answer my bug reports.

arch can disable modules from grub which makes installing much easier..yet its more convoluted if you consider you got to configure almost everything. but i got rid of the fan control problem, which was a real pain in the rearend.

another plus, is that the kernel rt73usb driver works great under arch, i dont know whats the deal with the driver under ubuntu... i always thought it was the driver's fault, but it appears it was not.

beware of the fan problem. i had 3 different scenarios:

most times: fan would run non stop

some times: fan would run normally between 50C and 60C

a couple of times: fan would not run no matter what THRM said. cpu temp got as high as 70C before i realized and rebooted.

i didnt experience the battery problem, maybe it was a lose contact, i would reatach the battery to be sure (aka: remove, replace in)

suspend / hibernate froze the computer so . under arch, i didnt get to address the problem yet. it doesnt work, but it doesnt freeze the computer either.

one extra plus: the arch build system is EXELLENT. im loving it.

good luck

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Heheh.. good solution.

I'm sticking with Ubuntu, though. It has the big advantage of being very popular, which gets you better support for third-party applications than most other distros and massive forums like this one, and is in general balanced (not the fastest nor the slowest, not the most advanced nor obsolete, etc). Support in Launchpad is stalled right now, but I'm hoping that it will get better eventually.

Anyway, the battery problem may really be a physical disconnection as you say; actually I removed the battery hours before it happened to see if the replacement I bought fitted in correctly; maybe it didn't click in properly when I put the old one back in.

The fan is a bit of a mystery. I don't get anything in the logs to diagnose it.

As for the rt73usb issue, since you say Arch Linux's version works well, I'll try to dig what Ubuntu patches have been applied to it, to see if I can provide some clue in Launchpad (and have it fixed by 2010, heheh).. On my laptop I have a different wireless card which has a different issue (causing hard locks, no less!), but that is more or less fixable.

Beans

Heheh.. good solution.

I'm sticking with Ubuntu, though. It has the big advantage of being very popular, which gets you better support for third-party applications than most other distros and massive forums like this one, and is in general balanced (not the fastest nor the slowest, not the most advanced nor obsolete, etc). Support in Launchpad is stalled right now, but I'm hoping that it will get better eventually.

Anyway, the battery problem may really be a physical disconnection as you say; actually I removed the battery hours before it happened to see if the replacement I bought fitted in correctly; maybe it didn't click in properly when I put the old one back in.

The fan is a bit of a mystery. I don't get anything in the logs to diagnose it.

As for the rt73usb issue, since you say Arch Linux's version works well, I'll try to dig what Ubuntu patches have been applied to it, to see if I can provide some clue in Launchpad (and have it fixed by 2010, heheh).. On my laptop I have a different wireless card which has a different issue (causing hard locks, no less!), but that is more or less fixable.

i *think* and this is a big maybe. the fan problem is related to a race condition in the bootup process. might be related to the migration of some daemons to upstart. but im at a loss here. im way out of my league.

concerning the rt73usb issue, it must be related to patches related to the network manager, or the network manager itself.

about arch's software support. there is this thing called AUR (arch user repository), where you search for buid scripts provided by users.
    these scripts can build, install, modify existing packages, check dependencies and fix them. its quite extensive, and its taking some time getting used to the way it works (in order to make your own PKGBUILD). but, lets just say....its better and safer than having some johndoe's repository in sources.list.

intrepid has been a bunk for me, if i had decided to try linux for the first time, and the cd i received was intrepid, id be back to windows in no time.

but what definately got me deciding i needed a new home was the whole SDHCI issue. i still cant believe the patch wasnt included in intrepid. ive posted a bug to the arch bug tracking system concerning the issue, ive been told not to hold my breath on it since its a dirty hack (the patch), but im still hoping.

ive referenced the kernel bug report and launchpad's entry. for devs to refer to the discussions. maybe someone there knows how to provide a descent fix.

EDIT
    check the bugreport for the arch kernel here: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12180?project=1 and please, comment anything i missed...
    Last edited by eldragon; November 19th, 2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added more info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i *think* and this is a big maybe. the fan problem is related to a race condition in the bootup process. might be related to the migration of some daemons to upstart. but im at a loss here. im way out of my league.
    I get the problem usually after several hours of uptime, I don't think it's related to the boot-up process.

ive posted a bug to the arch bug tracking system concerning the issue, ive been told not to hold my breath on it since its a dirty hack (the patch), but im still hoping.
    Perhaps this is the reason why it didn't make it into Intrepid? And us mentioning that there's work going on upstream to fix this probably just made them disregard it entirely. Our best shot is the kernel bugzilla, I think. I'll post again to remind the PCI expert about this issue.

check the bugreport for the arch kernel here: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12180?project=1 and please, comment anything i missed...
    It looks OK to me.

Beans

ohh bugger. i got this thermal_zone folder empty again under arch. just once..but lets say its not upstart's fault. dang it. anyway, its much less frequent here. and arch works much better than ubuntu did anyway, so im sticking with it

about the patch itself. i dont think there will be any more movement anywhere, we are stuck with a half working live cd i guess. thanks god arch is a rolling release distro and i will never need a live cd (unless i break things...like i usually do )

Beans

pablomme, today the arch kernel got bumped to 2.6.27.7 and checking the patchset for that kernel, they appear to have includded the h12y patch...gonna reboot with that kernel and report back to the appropiate places

im soo happy

Beans

i just tried this but I get an error when using file-roller that the image type isn't supported.

I also went thru the original HowTo also and noticed a couple of mistakes in that.

Ok, I've tried this now. Here is a slightly modified howto which uses sudo only when strictly required, and incorporates some tips from the Ubuntu Wiki page on liveCD customization.

1. Open a terminal

You can open it from Applications > Accessories > Terminal, or alternatively pressing Alt+F2 and typing gnome-terminal in it.

2. Enter sudo password

Type
    Code:
    sudo -v
    and enter your password.

3. Install things

To make sure you have all the programs you need, type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install squashfs-tools genisoimage fakeroot file-roller
    4. Set up

Type this, changing the values of the variables to specify what you want to do:
    Code:
    ORIG_IMAGE=~/Desktop/ubuntu-8.10-rc-desktop-i386.iso
    MOD_IMAGE=~/Desktop/ubuntu-8.10-rc-desktop-i386-nosdhci.iso
    MOD_LABEL="Ubuntu 8.10 i386"
    TEMP_DIR=~/tmp
    ORIG_IMAGE should point at the ISO file you already have, and MOD_IMAGE says where to put the modified ISO. MOD_LABEL and TEMP_DIR can be safely left alone.

5. Proceed

Copy this and paste it into your terminal verbatim:
    Code:
    mkdir -p "$TEMP_DIR/mod-distrib/ISO"
    cd "$TEMP_DIR/mod-distrib"
    file-roller -e ISO "$ORIG_IMAGE"
    sudo unsquashfs ISO/casper/filesystem.squashfs
    #START MODIFICATIONS
    echo "# Local blacklist" > squashfs-root/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.local
    echo "blacklist sdhci" >> squashfs-root/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.local
    echo "blacklist sdhci-pci" >> squashfs-root/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.local
    #END MODIFICATIONS
    rm ISO/casper/filesystem.squashfs
    sudo mksquashfs squashfs-root ISO/casper/filesystem.squashfs -nolzma
    sudo chown $USER ISO/casper/filesystem.squashfs
    rm -rf squashfs-root
    cd ISO
    rm md5sum.txt
    find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum > md5sum.txt
    fakeroot mkisofs -D -r -V "$MOD_LABEL" -cache-inodes -J -l -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o "$MOD_IMAGE" .
    cd .. && rm -rf ISO
    cd && rmdir "$TEMP_DIR/mod-distrib"
    After a little wait the modified ISO will be on your desktop (or wherever you decided to place it), and all the messy temporary bits should have been cleared away. You can burn your ISO to a CD by double-clicking on it (provided you haven't explicitly modified this behaviour!)

If you need to do any other straight-forward modifications to the distribution (ie. add, remove or modify configuration files), do them between "#START MODIFICATIONS" and "#END MODIFICATIONS" above. Anything involving installing/removing packages requires a more sophisticated approach using a chroot cage as described in the relevant wiki page, but the rest should remain valid.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steffi View Post
    i just tried this but I get an error when using file-roller that the image type isn't supported.

I also went thru the original HowTo also and noticed a couple of mistakes in that.
    explain further

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast