Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] How to set up a D-Link WUA-2340 USB Wireless Adapter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: How to set up a D-Link WUA-2340 USB Wireless Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by adam_kimber View Post
    According to the screenshot you have no network cards installed! Try the PS first. LO or loopback is an internal LInux/Unix system. It can be used for all sorts of applications..... Ask if you want to know more.
    That is my problem I need to get my D-Link WUA-2340 USB Wireless Adapter installed for it to work. I have no idea what you said on the second part.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Lol. Don't worry about it. Did you try looking at the Hardware Drivers section first?

System --> Administration --> Hardware Drivers

If there is nothing there then we will ahve to try the ndiswrapper thing. (Just out of interest what does typing lsusb get you (in a terminal)

Beans
    Distro

There is nothing in it and says no drivers are installed.

lsusb:
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 07d1:3a08 D-Link System
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Beans

Unfortunately, getting your drivers to work will require a bit of reading. Using this guide http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=wg311v2 will get you through installing ndiswrapper.

ndiswrapper download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=602481

Your Drivers: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/wua2340...driver_140.zip

When you have ndiswrapper installed, the specific files that the guide will talk about will be located in (assuming you extracted your files to your desktop) /home/yourname/Desktop/20071112-WUA-2340-S0026/Drivers/WinXP_2K
    Last edited by auxis; July 17th, 2008 at 10:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. I already have my drivers but I didn't have the ndiswrapper stuff. I noticed that the guide and the download are different versions. Will that make a difference?

Beans
    Distro

It was an off chance. Ubuntu is starting to get common drivers for these things in its repo.

First make sure ndiswrapper is installed. Now this is going to be a faff as I reckon you are using a different computer to access the internet to the one with the Ubuntu installation on it. Am I right? Just click on the i386 or amd64 or all links in the download section and save them. Then copy them to the other machine. Double click them to install.

Get the following debs (installers for Ubuntu) from here.
    Ndiswrapper common
    ndiswarpperutils

Download the drivers from here

Then follow the instructions on that page i linked to. OR use auxis pages. Both appear to work. Beauty of Linux. Many ways to do stuff.

(FYI Ndiswrapper is clever program that enables Linux/Ubuntu to use windows drivers for wireless hardware.)
    Last edited by adam_kimber; July 17th, 2008 at 10:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jkyahoo101 View Post
    Thanks. I already have my drivers but I didn't have the ndiswrapper stuff. I noticed that the guide and the download are different versions. Will that make a difference?
    No, it shouldn't have an effect. Simply replace the version he's referring to (1.48 ) with 1.53.

Edit: After reading adams previous post, his method seems like it would be a lot more easier to do. But if it doesn't work, you can always fall back to the one I gave.

Beans
    Distro

Yes I am using my XP install which is on the internet. I am using a jump drive to transfer files like that picture earlier. Now how do I know what one to click on i386 or amd64?

Beans
    Distro

jkyahoo101 the link auxis gave you is technically correct. However most of the time when you see programs that are contained within a tar.gz (compressed file like a zip) they require compiling, which whilst most of the time is not too hard is a process I don't think you wish to get involved in...... (yet)

If in doubt get both and install the i386 one. If that fails I can tell you how to uninstall and then install the other. If you installed Ubuntu yourself you would have probably downloaded the i386 version and therefore you need to use that,

Quote Originally Posted by dave9191 View Post
    If you type

uname -m

into a console it will tell you the version of the kernel. And for a 32 bit machine you would see something like ix86. Im guessing that for the 64 bit you would see something like x86-64 or AMD64 or EM64T.

You should install the right one for your processor. So dont install the 64 bit one if you have a 32 bit machine.

Dave
    Last edited by adam_kimber; July 17th, 2008 at 10:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

So what do I have to do step by step? All I want is my adapter to work. I could do this in XP in 5 min but in Linux I am totally confused.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast