Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't remove U3 from FlashDrive

Beans

Re: Can't remove U3 from FlashDrive

For anyone that just ran a Google search and clicked on the thing that came up. To remove the U3 partition simply open Synaptic and install u3-tools. if you like terminal that's

Code:
    sudo apt-get install u3-tool
    the open terminal and run

Code:
    sudo u3-tool -p 0 /u3/location
    for me the u3 drive was at /dev/sg3 it should say at the bottom when you run

Code:
    u3-tool -h
    what dev locations you are working with. worked like a charm for me. hope it will for you. BTW this is on Ubuntu Maverick Dev build but should work on Lucid too.

cheers
    5n4r35

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snares View Post
    For anyone that just ran a Google search and clicked on the thing that came up. To remove the U3 partition simply open Synaptic and install u3-tools. if you like terminal that's

Code:
    sudo apt-get install u3-tool
    the open terminal and run

Code:
    sudo u3-tool -p 0 /u3/location
    for me the u3 drive was at /dev/sg3 it should say at the bottom when you run

Code:
    u3-tool -h
    what dev locations you are working with. worked like a charm for me. hope it will for you. BTW this is on Ubuntu Maverick Dev build but should work on Lucid too.

cheers
    5n4r35

This worked perfectly for me. If you are following this guide step by step then also reformat you flash drive afterwards. This deletes the hidden partition on your flash drive and then leaves like a 5 mb unpartitioned space. So if you want to use that extra space then you need to reformat your flash drive.

Here are the man pages for any questions.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...u3-tool.1.html

Beans

I was wrong. It just looks like its gone. Save yourself a lot of high blood pressure and use the windows tool.

http://u3uninstall.s3.amazonaws.com/U3Uninstall.exe

Beans

If you wanna try this it might work.

Code:
    # ./u3_tool -u /dev/sg3
    http://u3-tool.sourceforge.net/

Beans

Synaptic package manager says the U3 tool is installed, but I get

mossfoot@HP-G60:~$ sudo u3-tool -p 0 /u3/sr1
    sudo: u3-tool: command not found

Whazzup?

(edit) Oh. Underline, not hyphen. back to the venn diagram.
    Last edited by Mossfoot; June 10th, 2011 at 03:58 AM.

Beans

SanDisk does make some good products, but to me, the U3 utility is useless. Generally it's the first thing to go especially when I use it on both Windows and Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kherring7383 View Post
    SanDisk does make some good products, but to me, the U3 utility is useless. Generally it's the first thing to go especially when I use it on both Windows and Ubuntu.
    I have a question going in a new thread "Trying to locate U3 System device name". How do I find the device so I can destroy the U3?

Right now, I'm torn between burning the thumb drive with a butane torch or simply pounding it into scrap.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mossfoot View Post
    I have a question going in a new thread "Trying to locate U3 System device name". How do I find the device so I can destroy the U3?

Right now, I'm torn between burning the thumb drive with a butane torch or simply pounding it into scrap.
    Why not remove the software and move on? http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/de...nchpad-on-a-pc
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

uRock, if you had read what you linked to, you would see that it provides instructions only for removing the software using MicroSoft, and requires admin access. I do not have admin rights on any MS machine.

"Remove and move on" is precissly what I want to do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mossfoot View Post
    uRock, if you had read what you linked to, you would see that it provides instructions only for removing the software using MicroSoft, and requires admin access. I do not have admin rights on any MS machine.

"Remove and move on" is precissly what I want to do.
    I did read the link.

To find the media, insert the drive, then go in your menus to System> Administration> Disk Utility, then click on your USB drive and you will see its address listed by "Device." In my instance you will see it is /dev/sdf
    Screenshot-USBest Technology USB Mass Storage Device (USBest Technology USB Mass Storage Device).jpg
    Last edited by uRock; June 15th, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast