Thread: Constant disk writes to home dir by Microsoft Edge & Google Chrome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Constant disk writes to home dir by Microsoft Edge & Google Chrome

I just installed Ubuntu 24.04 LTS after using Linux Mint for some time, but am having issues with Microsoft Edge constantly writing to disk (home partition). I have also noticed that Google Chrome has the same problem, so perhaps this is a Chromium issue? In each case, the browser is sitting on a new tab page with no other tabs open.

Here is the accumulative output of iotop over a period of about 2 minutes:

Code:
       TID  PRIO  USER     DISK READ DISK WRITE>    COMMAND                                                                   
     193517 be/4 russ         52.00 K     51.53 M msedge --enable-features=WebRTCPipeWir~ktopPWAsRunOnOsLogin [ThreadPoolForeg]
        868 be/3 root          0.00 B     47.30 M [jbd2/dm-0-8]
     193518 be/4 russ          0.00 B     41.64 M msedge --enable-features=WebRTCPipeWir~ktopPWAsRunOnOsLogin [ThreadPoolForeg]
     193549 be/4 russ          0.00 B     15.98 M msedge --type=utility --utility-sub-ty~iations-seed-version [ThreadPoolForeg]
     193468 be/4 russ          0.00 B      7.98 M msedge --enable-features=WebRTCPipeWir~blyTrapHandler,DesktopPWAsRunOnOsLogin
     193532 be/4 russ          0.00 B      3.17 M msedge --enable-features=WebRTCPipeWir~ktopPWAsRunOnOsLogin [ThreadPoolForeg]
    After some googling, I have tried several fixes from similar issues:

1. Clearing browser data.
    2. Disabling extensions.
    3. Resetting settings.

Unfortunately, none of the above has helped.
    Has anyone else had this issue and can offer any advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Constant disk writes to home dir by Microsoft Edge & Google Chrome

Isn't the browser just read and write cache files constantly? What's negatively impacting you?

If your home partition is slow, you can symlink the cache directory to a faster partition.

Beans

I have the same problem on new installation. ext4 filesystem, edge is unusable because of milions of 3secs stutters/freezes on all pages. The SSD is m2. On btrfs it worked flawlessly.

Beans
    Hidden!

there seems to be a problem with any and all deb files installing. it was on one off the Ubuntu sites but i cant find now.
    as a work around if you want a chrome type browser chromium snap is available from the app store and is very good.
    i am using it as i cant get Vivaldi to run from a deb install ..

found the article in question.
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2024/04/...24-04-released
    Last edited by gezzer2; 5 Days Ago at 12:23 AM. Reason: added link ..
    Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. (Douglas Adams)