Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help with hard drive

Beans

Angry help with hard drive

hi i just installed ubuntu today because i had a boot error or virus when i turned my computer it came up with

Der Bootsektor dieser Diskette wurde neuerstellt.
    . ..Benutzen Sie den DOS-Befehl SYS um diese Diskette bootfähig zu machen!..
    Bitte legen Sie nun eine Systemdiskette ins Laufwerk und ..drücken Sie eine Taste.

i was trying to get the files from my hard drive to back them up and try to fix my laptop but when i went to click on my hard drive it would only show one file "file:///media/disk/╪Aá⌡%02.í╞"
    i dont really understand im not very good at computers all i really want is my legal files and to fix my laptop so i can use XP again.

your help is greatly obliged thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: help with hard drive

I think we need someone to translate this to English not sure what language that is but if there is a menu to change it might help you under stand ..
    i'm pretty sure you might find its not a virus or boot error but a greeting and a notice about installing ..

the file it shows you I believe is the disk in your CD drive
    Last edited by jadtech; April 11th, 2012 at 05:05 AM.

Beans

According to Google translate that means, "The boot sector of the diskette has been created. They use the DOS SYS command to make the diskette bootable! Please insert a system disk into the drive now and print it one button" and i dont have a cd in my dvd drive im running ubuntu through a usb drive i tried to research this and so far all i have found is that is is a boot error virus that creates a fake boot secctor so i cant boot into windows xp. i dont have a installation disk for xp (pre installed on laptop) so i pretty much suck right now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If your computer has the windows XP key on it, you can use a Live CD and download a windows XP ISO off of one of web sites.

Just Google: windows xp iso. and the version that was installed on your computer (i.e. XP Home SP2 or Pro sp2)

Once you have the ISO downloaded burn a CD and reinstall.
    Ok, one of these days I will get it right the first time!
    Good thing there's a backup!

Beans

if i do that will i be able to get my info back and would it fix my boot error virus or would i still have to find out about that after i get on xp?

Beans

You probably don't want to reinstall Windows or you'll loose everything. Try the recovery console first to fix the boot sector.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

User Fixboot and Fixmbr, there are detailed instructions on using this in the link above.

Hope this helps.

Beans

so what you are saying is use a recovery disk to start this then use the fixboot and fixmbr commands to fix this problem, and if it does what about the virus wouldnt it currupt the boot again?
    Last edited by lRevl; April 12th, 2012 at 02:25 AM.

Beans

Yes. When you get a Windws CD and boot into it, it will give you an option to start the recovery console. It's a command line interface and you can use these two commands, it should fix your problem hopefully. You can run a chkdsk from there also.

I would definately try this before doing a complete reinstall, as this could wipe everything.

Beans

but wouldnt the virus corrupt the boot again once i do this?

Beans

If it is indeed cuased by a virus and not just some Windows glitch, then you should run a virus scan once you can boot back into Windows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast