Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Atheros AR5001 with Ubunutu 10.04

Beans

Re: Help with Atheros AR5001 with Ubunutu 10.04

... and 1 day after, include reboot, this still works ... not as fast as Ethernet but really good ... I've lost so many weeks looking for the right answer.
    Philippe

Beans

I'm glad to confirm that this sequence works very well!
    Thank you!

Beans

I have Realtek version. I have tried windows wireless driver and it didnt work.
    What do I need to change in this code to make it work?

Quote Originally Posted by zuperman1 View Post
    This may help someone. I have Atheros AR5001 and I have managed to make my wifi work with the following commands:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo modprobe acer-wmi

and it worked for a wile, but after I've updated the kernel, wifi stopped working. After some good hours of research I found that the problem is how the drivers are loaded. It has to be first acer-wmi and then ath5k.
    So this are the commands that worked:

sudo modprobe -rv ath5k
    sudo modprobe acer-wmi
    sudo modprobe -v ath5k

and I've put this in the /etc/rc.local so I don't have to put this commands every time I restart my computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

I installed ubuntu on my fujitsu siemens amilo li2727. And my wifi didnt work at all. So I looked through the net and finally I found this post. And it works . So I tried to edit it on rc.local but got the respons that im not allowed bla bla bla, something about root. Anyone who can help??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

so all i needed to do was search it and I found it.

Thanks for the script.

Beans

Thank you, Zuperman1 !!!
    I've spent days trying to enable Wifi on an Amilo 1718, without any success, and your simple lines of code have solved it in a minutes.

Beans

Hi,
    I'm experiencing similar problems on my Mac Mini (Ubuntu Lucid), which uses an Atheros AR5001 wireless adapter. Concretely, the (hardware) wireless connection appears stable (it does not disconnect), but in irregular intervals (every couple minutes) it takes ages to establish new (HTTP / TCP) connections. The browser hangs while "looking up example.com", dig yields no results for DNS lookups. At the same time I can sometimes ping my router without packet loss, sometimes with a packet loss, but always in 1-2ms.

Quote Originally Posted by drpjkurian View Post
    Hi

Please install the following packages by synaptic package manager
    They are linux-backports-modules-lucid-generic and linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic. to solve the random blackouts...
    I installed these packages to no avail. What exactly is the problem that is solved by these? Is there hope that the issue will be solved in the near future?

Many thanks for any hints / pointers!

--
    Linux mac-mini 2.6.32-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 28 06:07:29 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Beans

Madwifi driver works for me in lucid and maverick. I followed that french tutorial:

http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/atheros_ar5007eg

What I did:

Code:
    svn checkout http://svn.madwifi-project.org/madwi...s/madwifi-dfs/

cd madwifi-dfs
    make 
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe ath_pci

echo "blacklist ath5k" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    echo "ath_pci" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    Restart the computer
    Last edited by sanskbn; October 20th, 2010 at 03:14 AM.

Beans

I had the same exact problem with my Acer Aspire One A0751h in 10.04. However, I switched to 10.10 NBR and the problem does not exist at all. This is because 10.10 has NATIVE Atheros drivers.
    With 10.10 there is no need to install backports or the NDSWRAPPER and windows drivers.

You can check this by downloading Ubuntu 10.10 NBR and making a startup USB. Boot off of the USB and let 10.10 load. You should be immediately told that Wireless networks are available and you can then select your WIFI connection and put in your key.

Under 10.10 with the included Atheros drivers I discovered that when using WPA shared pass key encryption that things work better with AES rather than TKIP. Also, my signal strength (at least as far as Network manager is concerned) has increased from the average of 45% to 70%. My Netbook connects every time. Lastly the WIFI inicator LED on my Netbook lights up and flashes like a Christmas tree light.

Please understand that I am providing this information as an alternative to the methods for 10.04 and in no way intend to demean the good Doctor or this solution under 10.04.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hmm, yes, but... I agree that with Ubuntu 10.10 wireless networking works "out of the box" on my Aspire One ZG5, *but* it's abysmally slow (and I don't go a bundle on the user interface, either). I rapidly decided to revert to 10.04 with Madwifi.

To the reason for my investigating this thread: my "big" laptop (a Clevo, also with Atheros AR5001) started to suffer from frequently dropped wireless connections after I'd updated to kernel 2.6.32-25 (and re-compiled Madwifi). Dr Kurian's solution of installing the backports modules seems to have fixed this problem. Thanks again Dr K!

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast