Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Installation on new Asus Eee PC 1001P

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Installation on new Asus Eee PC 1001P

Anyone know if Ubuntu 9.10 or Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 will install and work properly on the new Asus Eee PC 1001P? Mine arrives tomorrow. I searched the forum and was surprised no one else is talking about this hot new netbook. I figured I'd start the thread myself.

Please post your experiences (and any fixes) here. I'll try installing both Ubuntu and UNR as soon as I can and see how it works out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Installation on new Asus Eee PC 1001P

Installed UNR earlier today, had to use the ndiswrapper and the xp drivers from the Asus site in order to get wireless to work, other than that everything else is working fine.

The only caveat is that I am only to connect to wireless at work which has no encryption, at home using my router that has dd-wrt I cannot get it to connect. I didn't have the time to troubleshoot that today:

When I do an lspci this is the output that I get for the wireless

02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Device 002c (rev 01)

Beans
    Distro

Cool, good to hear it works!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCanis View Post
    Installed UNR earlier today, had to use the ndiswrapper and the xp drivers from the Asus site in order to get wireless to work, other than that everything else is working fine.
    So I can install UNR on the 1001P and just do "sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common"? or ndiswrapper-utils-1.9? And then it just works? And what do you mean you used XP drivers? How do Windows drivers work on Linux?

The only caveat is that I am only to connect to wireless at work which has no encryption, at home using my router that has dd-wrt I cannot get it to connect.
    So if my router uses WPA2 encryption, I'm screwed? Hmm. I'm sure fixes will surface soon, hopefully...

I'll try my hand at this tomorrow or later this week, and report back in full.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I ran

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 ndisgtk
    I still haven't ruled out that it can't just be some incompatibility between this and ddwrt.

The windows xp driver that I used with the ndiswrapper is available from the ASUS support site.

Wireless Lan Driver for Win XP (Wlan: NE785H_GE112H)

I haven't tried the madwifi as I was working on this late.

Using modprobe ath5k or ath9k did nothing.

Took some hints from the link below and other forum posts. Not much on the 1001P of course but that comes with the territory.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC/Fixes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I checked my history, this link might actually work for the wireless since the wireless cards appear to be similar:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=asus+eee

output from sudo lspci -vnn

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. Device [168c:002c] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Device [1a3b:1112]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    Memory at fbff0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
    Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel <?>
    Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 12-14-24-ff-ff-17-15-00
    Capabilities: [170] Power Budgeting <?>
    Kernel driver in use: ndiswrapper
    Last edited by DarkCanis; February 2nd, 2010 at 08:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Good place to look for compatibility is here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...hines/Netbooks
    Happy Too Be Ubuntu Registered User # 29006 & Linux Registered User # 497242
    Weaning myself off M$ since 27th September '09
    Ⓘ'ⓜ ⓝⓞⓣ ⓐ ⓕⓐⓝⓑⓞⓘ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I was seeing this in the logs:

ndiswrapper (iw_set_auth:1602): invalid cmd 12

Which lead me to this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8426311

Beans
    Distro

Great news, got wireless working perfectly, even with WPA/WPA2 encryption!

Here's how.

1) Using apt-get, istall the ndiswrapper-common, ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, and ndisgtk packages.
    2) Using apt-get, install linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic.
    3) Go to http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx and get the WinXP wireless LAN drivers for the 1001P (NE785H_GE112H). Unzip that file to a folder.
    4) Run ndisgtk (probably as root to be safe) and install that WinXP driver (select the .inf file). There will be an error, but ignore it, it's fine.

After those steps (possibly after a reboot), I now have wireless and can connect to my Linksys running Tomato firmware & WPA2 encryption.

Now, if I could only get the built-in microphone working, and the multi-touch capability in the touchpad! Oh, and the brightness controls are completely whacked, too, they don't work properly and Ubuntu doesn't memorize the way you have your brightness set.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

After losing sleep messing around with this thing since Monday. At that point I took my happy behind to ndevil, where they had a nice disassemble presentation video for the Asus 1001P and used the Asus 1201N step by step video (it was similar) to ripe out the cancer from my netbook. I put in another atheros card from my laptop and poof everything worked fine, though this was just temporary the card was too big for the netbook as it needs a half minpci-e. The linux-backports worked with the atheros from the main laptop.

I know it isn't much help, but hey at least it's an option, of course there goes the warranty. That means no dropping it

Beans
    Distro

After losing sleep messing around with this thing since Monday. At that point I took my happy behind to ndevil, where they had a nice disassemble presentation video for the Asus 1001P and used the Asus 1201N step by step video (it was similar) to ripe out the cancer from my netbook. I put in another atheros card from my laptop and poof everything worked fine, though this was just temporary the card was too big for the netbook as it needs a half minpci-e. The linux-backports worked with the atheros from the main laptop.

I know it isn't much help, but hey at least it's an option, of course there goes the warranty. That means no dropping it
    What the heck?? That seems kind of extreme. What kind of WLAN card did you have in your 1001P before?? Mine came with an Atheros so I suppose that's why my fixes were easy, and required no hardware modifications.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast