summary: I'd appreciate help installing a driver for my Epson Stylus NX515 inkjet all-in-one onto jaunty boxes.
newbie alert: I have some but not lots experience with linux desktops. (I have lots more experience with cygwin and with CLI access to linux servers.)
I have an Epson Stylus NX515 printer/scanner/copier that works fine under winxp sp3. I have a System76 jaunty laptop
and my GF has a System76 jaunty UNR netbookCode:$ uname -srvmo Linux 2.6.28-17-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 1 21:27:25 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
on which I'm trying to install a driver for the NX515, but I'm having problems with the architectures and dependencies. There is an i386 (only) driver and PPD for the NX515 @Code:$ uname -srvmo Linux 2.6.28-17-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 1 18:57:07 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
and instructions @
which advises one to
- download the driver package (pipslite_1.4.0-5_i386.deb) and the PPD (Epson-Stylus_NX515-pipslite-en.ppd). The PPD must be saved to /usr/share/cups/model, so I mkdir-ed that dir and downloaded both the PPD and the deb there.
- install the driver. I pushd-ed to/usr/share/cups/model and tried
which failed due to architecture mismatch, so I triedCode:$ dpkg -i pipslite_1.4.0-3_i386.deb
which told meCode:$ dpkg -i --force-architecture pipslite_1.4.0-3_i386.deb
Naively I triedCode:dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pipslite: pipslite depends on libltdl3 (>= 1.5.2-2); however: Package libltdl3 is not installed.
which saidCode:$ sudo apt-get install libltdl3
but also broke the software index per Software Update. Per its advice, I ranCode:Package libltdl3 is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source E: Package libltdl3 has no installation candidate
which removed package=pipslite. I then searched for "libltdl" inCode:$ sudo apt-get install -f
synaptic. I found I already had libltdl7 but not libltdl7-dev, so I
installed the latter, which installed autotools-dev and libtool.
I then reran
but got the same error regarding libltdl3.Code:$ sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture pipslite_1.4.0-5_i386.deb
So I'm wondering:
- How to satisfy the Avasys .deb's desire for libltdl3?
- Should I try another driver? Epson only provides windows and mac here. Avasys also provides .rpm (which I'm not sure how to use under ubuntu) and source (which I could try to configure, make, make install).
- Is there another alternative I should attempt?