Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiences with Asus UL30

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Experiences with Asus UL30

Hi,

Has anyone installed Linux on an Asus UL30?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Asus UL30 anyone?

I've seen in a non-Linux forum that 2 users report an almost fully working system with Karmic 9.10.

Can anyone confirm this?

But the best of all is:
    The lastest Kubuntu Karmic 9.10 Linux (Alpha 6) works like a charm! Everything is running out of the box, incl sound, lan, wlan, suspend, keys. (hdmi to be tested...)
    An update on the ubuntu upside-down webcam issue: the fix linked earlier in the discussion does not work on ubuntu 9.10, and the linux video developers have explicitly discouraged that approach because it requires kernel modifications. Instead, it can be fixed with a 32-bit build of libv4l version 0.6.2 or later. I built it from source and installed it to /usr/lib32. Then when running skype, I use the following command:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l2convert.so /usr/bin/skype &

and presto! I no longer look like an antipode!
    other webcam-using apps can be similarly prefixed with the LD_PRELOAD on the command line, and it might even be possible to put LD_PRELOAD into the systemwide profile, haven't investigated yet. Anyways, hopefully this will help someone somewhere.

Unrelated topic: I updated the BIOS to 206 to get the BIOS overclock setting. It works smoothly at 4%, but at 5% gnome fails to start on my laptop. I get a running linux and command prompt, but no gui. Maybe 5% is more than some circuitry in the Intel GMA4500 can handle?

I also have a weeeeak wifi signal with lots of connection drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by avilella View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone installed Linux on an Asus UL30?
    Last edited by avilella; October 25th, 2009 at 11:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi avilella!

I am interested in this laptop also...we'll see if anyone here has tried it.

What's the link to that forum you quoted from? I've looked and looked and can't find it.

Thanks,
    Mg
    It's Lɪ-nʌx and it's not Windows so get on the right plane and don't preach, mention.
    Windows: The evolution of a 32 bit shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit OS coded for a 4 bit CPU by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Beans
    Distro

There seems to be 2 different Linux users on notebookreview.com:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=418429

But that forum is probably not the best to gather Linux users...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnesium View Post
    Hi avilella!

I am interested in this laptop also...we'll see if anyone here has tried it.

What's the link to that forum you quoted from? I've looked and looked and can't find it.

Thanks,
    Mg

Beans

Hi,

I installed Karmic Koala (9.10) 64 bits and it works very well out of box, including Ethernet and Wi-Fi (Atheros 9285). To get a stable and fast Wi-Fi connection, it is advised to install "linux-backports-modules-karmic-generic" packet, since the included ath9k driver is much better than the default one.

For now, the only little problem I encountered is the webcam image flipped up/down (I saw something on the net to fix it but did not test yet).

SD card reader is ok. Did not test HDMI output for now.

And the UL30A is very responsive under Karmic, quiet as fast as my previous laptop (Core2Duo T8100), and quicker than under Win 7, and very very quiet. An extremely good laptop IMHO.

Neehilo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Talking Re: Asus UL30 anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by neehilo View Post
    Hi,

I installed Karmic Koala (9.10) 64 bits and it works very well out of box, including Ethernet and Wi-Fi (Atheros 9285). To get a stable and fast Wi-Fi connection, it is advised to install "linux-backports-modules-karmic-generic" packet, since the included ath9k driver is much better than the default one.

For now, the only little problem I encountered is the webcam image flipped up/down (I saw something on the net to fix it but did not test yet).

SD card reader is ok. Did not test HDMI output for now.

And the UL30A is very responsive under Karmic, quiet as fast as my previous laptop (Core2Duo T8100), and quicker than under Win 7, and very very quiet. An extremely good laptop IMHO.

Neehilo
    Hi Neehilo,

I'm glad to hear that Linux works well on the UL30. Have you had a chance to see if suspend and hibernate work correctly? Also, is there a VGA port on that laptop, or just the HDMI?

Thanks,
    Mg
    It's Lɪ-nʌx and it's not Windows so get on the right plane and don't preach, mention.
    Windows: The evolution of a 32 bit shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit OS coded for a 4 bit CPU by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

The HDMI output works ok, but there were a few issues:
    - Chunky looking text, some of the time. I didn't see this with the VGA output.
    - Disappearing mouse cursor, some of the time.

HDMI Audio works, and the video looks fine.

I'm glad to hear that Linux works well on the UL30. Have you had a chance to see if suspend and hibernate work correctly? Also, is there a VGA port on that laptop, or just the HDMI?
    Suspend has had no problems for me, I haven't tried to hibernate.

I haven't found a way to disable the touchpad while I'm typing. The Elantech PS/2 touchpad driver does not recognize it, so there is no configuring it for now. On the plus side the default settings for the touchpad are pretty good.

Kai

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Smile Re: Asus UL30 anyone?

Hooray...suspend works! I must be really unlucky or something, because none of the computers I have now suspend correctly under Linux. Maybe I'll break down and buy the UL30.

Where did y'all purchase yours from? You can't get it in stores, right?

Mg

Beans

Hooray...suspend works! I must be really unlucky or something, because none of the computers I have now suspend correctly under Linux. Maybe I'll break down and buy the UL30.
    Suspend and hibernate both work flawlessly for me. Wireless connection comes back quickly, and even the BtnX daemon with my special mouse buttons configuration is restored. Much better than before.

Where did y'all purchase yours from? You can't get it in stores, right?
    From an internet shop, since the UL30 was not available in stores in my town (I am living in France), and the web shop configuration was better.

Since the 24 month on site warranty is performed by Asus, buying in store or web shop did not matter for me.

Neehilo

Beans

I have Asus UL30A, Ubuntu 9.10 problems that i couldnt fix:
    - Touchpad Elantech Smartpad recognised as Logitech Ps\2 mouse
    - Hibernate doesent work.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast