Thread: Need dd IMG of x86_64 11.04 install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Need dd IMG of x86_64 11.04 install

Good day,
    I need a dd img (including bootloader) of a standard 11.04 ubuntu 64-bit install. My mac's superdrive died so I cannot install from CD myself. I have purchased a second hard drive. I would like to dd an image of 64 bit ubuntu install onto the second hard drive. If someone has the time, would they install 64 bit ubuntu, and create a DD image of it. I can download from you or you can upload to my ftp server.

Thanks for your time.
    David
    Last edited by devoda; September 12th, 2011 at 04:56 PM.

Beans

Re: Need dd IMG of x86_64 11.04 install

Why not boot from a USB drive and install from that?

Beans
    Distro

I have had trouble booting from USB on this Macbook Pro 6,2. I believe some macs can and some cannot. I have used Refit and grub-efi but this method leaves me with out accelerated graphics drivers for my nvidia card.

D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have known for a while that Macs can Boot off of USB Cd Drives, Would you like to try that?

If you don't have one, all I can say is buy another SuperDrive if USB Does not work

Beans
    Distro

I can get an external usb cd drive. Or try the grub-efi usb boot method again. But if someone has a lot of time on their hand. I could still use the dd image. Please PM me!
    D.
    Last edited by devoda; September 12th, 2011 at 06:26 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by devoda View Post
    I have had trouble booting from USB on this Macbook Pro 6,2. I believe some macs can and some cannot. I have used Refit and grub-efi but this method leaves me with out accelerated graphics drivers for my nvidia card.

D.
    You'll probably find that you can boot from a USB drive if you follow these instructions.

Beans

...why on earth would you try some of that horrible nonsense? You should be able to hold down the Opt (Alt) key at boot and select the boot device from there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by conundrumx View Post
    ...why on earth would you try some of that horrible nonsense? You should be able to hold down the Opt (Alt) key at boot and select the boot device from there.
    Because some Macs won't boot from a USB image unless it's been set up without any partitions. I don't know of any GUI tool for creating a live USB in that way, so it's back to the command line.

The only horrible nonsense is Apple applying such ridiculous limitations to its machines. I'm rather glad that some people - not me - are smart enough to overcome the restrictions that our corporate overlords attempt to enforce.

Beans
    Distro

Well said Johnny. I wouldn't have to ask ridiculous favor if apple didn't implement their own version of EFI.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    You'll probably find that you can boot from a USB drive if you follow these instructions.
    Thanks!