Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to install Canon Pixma MP620, help!

Beans

Re: Trying to install Canon Pixma MP620, help!

I have bought a Canon MP540, and I have the same problem as discribed here. I can't get the scanner to work.

I have downloaded and installed the factory drivers, and the printer works fine. But the scanner isn't recognized al all. In fact, the Canon MP540 is recognized as a usb-disk.

As recommended above, I have visited sane's website, and it seemes, that my scanner should work well with the same software, as other Canon MPxxx scanners. It is stated, that the backend version 0.16 should be used, but it is not possible to download anything newer than version 0.13 dated as far back as 2007.

Is there anything, I can do to get my scanner working?

Kaj Rasmussen
    Denmark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

None of this works on Karmic. Currently playing around.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thedlw View Post
    None of this works on Karmic. Currently playing around.
    I've been able to use my MP620 with Karmic by doing all of the standard steps -- installing cnij-common or whatever and the mp610 debs from the Canon site, along with installing cups-bjnp.

However, I haven't been able to get "bjnp" to return anything other than

"Unknown" "Canon network printer"

Which means that Ubuntu can't discover the printer by itself. I can manually add a printer and use a method described earlier by getting the IP address of the printer and setting it's URI to

bjnp://IPaddress:8116

Then, after adding it, you can specify the PPD file.

Of course, I haven't gotten scanning to work, but at least printing will.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I was able to make the very most-basic print functions work using this,
    http://technicaltony.blogspot.com/20...on-ubuntu.html

But ever since the 9.04 > 9.10 upgrade I've lost the ability to print from the rear-tray (which is mandatory for 4x6 photo printing)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've gotten everything to work. All though i don't use the rear tray so maybe i'll try.

What you need to do on a clean install is install this package

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/al...psys2/download

Then you'll be golden for all the other stuff from canon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

heres a better method to install canon printers on Karmic ....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305248
    Last edited by LequidMetal; November 24th, 2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: format editing

Beans

Have followed closely all the information in previous posts - thanks to everyone - and managed to get my MP620 printing from 8.10.

Then upgraded through 9.04 to 9.10. Of course didn't think to check the printer in 9.04, and then found to my dismay that it doesn't work in 9.10!

So far I've downloaded and installed all the .deb files:
    cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb
    cnijfilter-mp610series_2.80-1_i386.deb
    scangearmp-common_1.10-1_i386.deb
    scangearmp-mp610series_1.10-1_i386.deb

downloaded and installed the files in:
    ppdMP620-630en-1.5.tar.gz

and downloaded, configured and installed:
    cups-bjnp-0.5.4.tar.gz
    (Didn't carry out the re-direction from libcupssys2 to libcups2 per previous posting as I notice there is already a dummy libcupsys2 file to redirect to libcups2.)

bjnp reported the printer as:
    network bjnp://192.168.0.3:8611 "Canon MP620 series" "Canon MP620 series 192.168.0.3" "MFG:Canon;CMD:BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe,NCCe,PLI;SOJ:TX T01,BJNP2;MDL:MP620 series;CLSRINTER;DES:Canon MP620 series;VER:1.040;STA:10;HRI:EU;MSIAT,E3,HFSF;PDR:5;"

System>Administration>Printing found the printer at the above IP address and installed it OK.

Then comes the problem. When a page is sent to the printer, the printer reports 'processing', spits out a blank page, and goes back to 'ready' state.

That's what the printer reports.
    The 'printer properties' window reports
    Printer State: Processing - failed to read backchannel data:Success
    and stays that way until the cows come home.

Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong and, more importantly, how to get the printer working?

Thanks in anticipation,
    Peter.
    Last edited by PeterB1945; December 4th, 2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Smilies can't be got rid of.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

All of this works on Karmic - I had no problems once I found this post. Thanks for the help.

> 64bit Karmic, usb, wireless and sane. I set my MP620 using windows to configure the wifi settings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jaypmcwilliams View Post
    OK, got printer to work in Ubuntu Intrepid AMD64 (8.10). Thanks to all the forums, I brought this together & got it to work;

First, you need to grab the needed files from LINUX section @ canon's website. (Just do a google search on each file)
    cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb, cnijfilter-mp610series_2.80-1_i386.deb, scangearmp-common_1.10-1_i386.deb, scangearmp-mp610series_1.10-1_i386.deb.....

Then:

Then find & download this file: ppdMP620-630en-1.5

Use sudo nautilus goto /usr/lib , /usr/lib32 & /usr/lib64 & create folder bjlib & copy new PPD files there.

Following files from Canon support site for the MP610:
    Use terminal:

COMMON:
    * sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb
    * sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-mp610series_2.80-1_i386.deb

SCANGEAR
    * sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i scangearmp-common_1.10-1_i386.deb
    * sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i scangearmp-mp610series_1.10-1_i386.deb

Now here's the important part, DELETE ANY previous canon printers. Then add new using USB (mine is USB#1). Next, DO NOT USE PIXMA MP610!!!! Use "Canon MP610 series Ver.2.80". Then go into the printer settings under options / paper feed choose something like cassette or rear tray. I have not used paper feed switch yet so pls let me know.

Sorry about leaving out the direct links but they keep changing them. This works on AMD64 & i386.

Jay
    OK. After installing Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic AMD64, I had to tweak a few things to get this to work. I brought all this together here from others. "THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO FOUND & DEVELOPED THESE FILES."

Download these first:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/al...psys2/download
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/cups-bjnp/
    http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...100083403.html
    http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...100084001.html

And download the bjlib file below. Extract all zipped files to your home directory. Now MAKE SURE TO UNPLUG PRINTER & REMOVE ALL CANON MP620 PRINTERS in printing!!!!! Then install libcupsys2. Then in the cups-bjnp open a terminal & run (without quotes) "make clean" "./configure" "make" "sudo make install". Then follow these instructions for the IJ Printer DEB's.

# OK, got printer to work in Ubuntu Intrepid AMD64 (8.10). Thanks to all the forums, I brought this together & got it to work;

# First, you need to grab the needed files from LINUX section @ canon's website. (Just do a google search on each file)
    # cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb, cnijfilter-mp610series_2.80-1_i386.deb, scangearmp-common_1.10-1_i386.deb, scangearmp-mp610series_1.10-1_i386.deb.....

# Then:

# Then find & download this file: ppdMP620-630en-1.5

# Use sudo nautilus goto /usr/lib , /usr/lib32 & /usr/lib64 & create folder bjlib & copy new PPD files there.

# Following files from Canon support site for the MP610:
    # Use terminal:

# COMMON:
    sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-mp610series_2.80-1_i386.deb

# SCANGEAR
    sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i scangearmp-common_1.10-1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i scangearmp-mp610series_1.10-1_i386.deb

sudo cp canonmp620-630en.ppd /usr/share/ppd/
    sudo cp canonmp620-630en.ppd /usr/lib/
    sudo cp canonmp620-630en.ppd /usr/lib32/
    sudo cp canonmp620-630en.ppd /usr/lib64/
    sudo cp cifmp610.conf /usr/share/ppd/
    sudo cp cifmp610.conf /usr/lib/
    sudo cp cifmp610.conf /usr/lib32/
    sudo cp cifmp610.conf /usr/lib64/

# Now here's the important part, DELETE ANY previous canon printers. Then add new using USB (mine is USB#1).
    # Next, DO NOT USE PIXMA MP610!!!! Use "Canon MP610 series Ver.2.80". Then go into the printer settings under
    # options / paper feed choose something like cassette or rear tray. I have not used paper feed switch yet so pls let me know.

# Sorry about leaving out the direct links but they keep changing them. This works on AMD64 & i386.

# Jay

Then VERIFY that the files exist in the locations stated above. If so, SHUTDOWN or RESTART your computer & Printer. Power On printer & computer. After both are FULLY up & running, plug in printer. If it doesn't automatically find the correct driver, locate it through PRINTING & follow instructions above for choosing correct driver.

Hope this helps because it is rambled, but here to help. Jay
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Check out this site as it has detailed instructions on installing the MP620 on Ubuntu. This worked for me. Even scanning and wireless too.

http://bkintegration.com/?p=235

Ubuntu 9.10 x86
    Asus F8sn-B1 (laptop)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast