Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warning !!! (edit: automatix borks)

Beans

Re: Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't use Automatix. But I don't see how someone defending their position is "trying to sell you something," I think you would do the same if someone had a bad opinion of something you enjoy using. Automatix works for them, they're just sharing what they see as a good thing. Didn't work out that well for me (since I am a control freak that likes to know what he's installing), maybe not for others (the broken dpkg people), but it's worked for others. Why shouldn't they try to spread the word?

I say that if you are curious, by all means give it a try, but one nugget of wisdom from the GPL: The software is offered as is and with no warranty. Maybe Automatix isn't GPL-covered (I haven't bothered to and have no need to check), but nowhere in any of my Linux documentation is anything--from patch to package--guaranteed not to break my current distro.

--Alterax
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Linux: Because my business ISN'T "Everybody's Business"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: no salesman i am not

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxess View Post
    i promise, im not associated with automaix...hell, the first time my friend told me about it i searched high and low for "automatics" and found tons of guns, cars and even a rock band.......but no program. just following a friends advise.
    Well. spelling Automatix correctly is important when you are searching for it on the Internet. I'm sure you found that out.

I am finished commenting on this post. I've got better things to do. Like try installing something new to try via Automatix. lol
    kh
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelet, Windows 7 Home Premium. HP Pavillion 6210y Desktop PC (64 bit) 2.60 ghrtz AMD Athlon II X4 620, 6GB Ram; CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD-RW.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hmm, it seems "swoll1980" (the poster) is speechless after all of the comments.
    Well, my work here is done. Moving on...

Beans

Notice how it's the same people that keep posting responces. I'm simply taking the same stance that ubuntu does wich is automatix is unsuported and that it has been known to break the dpkg including mine. I just don't want anybody else to have to deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    Notice how it's the same people that keep posting responces. I'm simply taking the same stance that ubuntu does wich is automatix is unsuported and that it has been known to break the dpkg including mine. I just don't want anybody else to have to deal with it.
    Actually, I just counted 9 different people that posted in this thread.

And what are you talking about?

I don't even know what you're talking about...

Also, have you seen the post count for this thread? The fact that you used the obnoxious title and that there was so many replies so quickly, people probably thought it was actually something worth Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about.
    Last edited by speaker219; June 29th, 2007 at 08:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Not quite sure why some folks are so much against Automaix. I know it doesn't work for everyone, as some of its features may screw up their system then on the other hand work good on other systems.
    Me I have accepted this risk, but I can say that it has always worked good for me. Being a DUMMY, sorry guys I find it very useful. OK I'm probably in the Guinness book of records for the times I've trashed my system! but so far not with Automaix

Beans

Nah, not really...If I see all caps or a ton of exclamation points I just usually write it off as hearsay.

Beans

By the way thanks for helping me keep this on the front page.
    I'm not forceing anyone to do anything I'm just warning them that it's unsuported and that it causes problems.Wich is why I named this thread warning. If people decide to use it after they read this then more power to them. When they come back asking how to fix there dpkg, I won't even tell them" I told you so" I will just do my best to help them fix it. since I had to fix my pc 2 time from automatix problems it will be very easy for me
    Last edited by swoll1980; June 29th, 2007 at 08:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hey 'Swoll1980" I like you statement

Beans

Great way to think about it, Swoll. But I am curious about your friends that have had dpkg problems from it: Was it from an error code interrupting an install and hanging up dpkg, or was it incompatible versions in the repositories? I did get repository errors when I tried it, but got rid of them by finding and removing the erroneous repository (it had gone offline since the release). Then Automatix worked fine until a brownout killed the hard drive (can't blame Auto there)

What was it they encountered? Similar, or something completely different?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast