Thread: 10.04 RC Frozen desktop. Can't right-click

Beans

10.04 RC Frozen desktop. Can't right-click

I did a clean install of 10.04 RC, 32 bit dekstop under ext4. I ran every update. Upon booting and logging in, randomly 1) I see my wallpaper and the mouse pointer only, without the panels. 2) Everything seems in working order, but I cannot right click (and say, create a folder, file etc...) on desktop, and cannot left click and drag the mouse (nothing appears). If I create a folder in desktop using the file manager it doesn't show on desktop either. I logged in as failsafe GNOME session and I can do all the above.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: 10.04 RC Frozen desktop. Can't right-click

Download and burn a new iso and reinstall.

If that disk has worked in the past, then just reinstall.
    xubuntu 64-bit 11.10: AMD Phenom II x4 970 @3.5GHz, GSkill 8GB 1333MHz CAS7, Gigabyte HD Radeon 6850 OC 1GB GDDR5 256-bit, Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, Seasonic 620W Bronze, CoolerMaster HAF 912, Samsung 23" LED LCD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

"Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans

OK. I did a new fresh install and in doing so found out the problem.
    Right after the installation I was prompted to install my nvidia drivers, which I did. After a restart I can choose my preffered resolution which is 1280x1024, but not my preffered refresh rate. So I re-edited my xorg.conf and put one line in monitor section from my previous working Karmic Koala xorg.conf. Suddenly the correct refresh rate appears. However any icons in desktop disappear, and I cannot right click to create a folder, or left click and drag the mouse. I re-edited my xorg.conf again, and now Ubuntu won't boot. I'll use the LiveCD to change the xorg.conf again. That's not the problem. But how do I get a correct refresh rate?

All I did was adding this one line under the monitor section:

Modeline "1280x1024" 119.40 1280 1368 1504 1728 1024 1025 1028 1063

This corrects my refresh rate but apparently messes up my desktop.

Pleeeease help me!

Beans

OK Solved! I just took my older (Karmic Koala) xorg.conf and used that one. For some reason running nvidia-xorg or letting the nvidia utility create an xorg.conf file caused me this problem. Now I can click anywhere as much as I want.

Beans

I had the same problem with being unable to right-click on my desktop after writing out the xorg.conf file via the nvidia X server settings (using Ubuntu 10.04).

I had to manually edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get the right-click working again on the desktop.

Here's what I added.

Under Section "Screen":
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

After adding this and rebooting, I'm now able to right-click on the desktop and get the pull-down menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bughound, That fixed my problems (no shortcuts on the desktop, right clicking desktop did nothing). When I looked back, that line was in my original xorg.conf, before I added 2nd monitor & created new xorg.conf using NVidia X server.