Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looking for a linux driver for Netgear WPN311

Anyone know where to download it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Looking for a linux driver for Netgear WPN311

see below
    Last edited by Zerocool Djx; April 28th, 2010 at 02:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

the WPN3111 is a great card(you have made a good choice as i point out in many posts) and should work automatically out of the box, at least that is so on 9.10. the driver is already in the kernel. you will not have to procure a wrapper or use NDISWRAPPER. just boot, go to network manager icon in upper right corner, left click, select your AP, and you should connect.

i bot 3 of them on E-bay a couple of weeks ago for $12.95 ea including shipping.

mark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yea, I just found that out... I'm really happy to about that. I know ndiswrapper works but I would rather not use that if I don't have to. Some one says it slow the connection a little bit. So, yea... it's either the WPN311 or WPN311T. Prolly the T Cause it has better reception.

Thanks for the confirmation on this!

What's the range on those things?

Beans
    Distro

thanks for posting back your success. althoh a lot of help is given on getting non-native driver cards to work, the easiest and most practical for me with 3 computers is to have a card that works out of the box - and inexpensive at reburbised price of $12.95.

i have external aerials with gain talking to a Linksys router thru 2-1/2 thick plaster walls (not sheetrock)at about 40 feet. typical signal strength is 50-60% - just put mouse arrow over the aforementioned network manager icon an it will read out the signal stength as a percentage.

mark
    Last edited by mark bower; April 28th, 2010 at 04:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yea that's about what I thought signal wise. Thank you for your help!

I'm sure that this question was posted here before, so thanks for being very heplful.

Just an heads-up on how much you guys rock! I also asked that in my old linux forum (different OS, NOT Ubuntu) and the so called "super-mod" there was a complete A**H****! He actually sent me "infractions" because I "didn't look hard enough". Soooooo,... needless to say I prolly won't be going back on that forum, most likely ever again. I think someone is hung up on that old school way of thinking that just cause you can be a **** on the internet and get away with it, you should.

Anyway,... The support for Ubuntu and Linux here has been outstanding! Honestly, you get much better attitudes and friendly support than I ever got from major OS producers! i might have a lot of silly questions, but you got to remember, this is a completely different world than most are used to. Thanks for welcoming us so friendly!
    Last edited by Zerocool Djx; April 28th, 2010 at 02:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

the one problem i experience on this forum is that questions sometimes get posted so fast that they get buried and may not be answered. so if that happens, just use bump with discretion and bring your question back to the top. it is amazing how some gurus(not me) will hang in and try and help persons get their "non-native" hardware working.

for the record, i now only use windows for tax program, ACAD and some photo scanners - and even one of them i can get software to take the scanner off of windows. my experience with the wifi pci cards went no luck (Belkin), Hawking with NDISwrapper, Adaptec(reported to work out of the box, but did not), and finally the gold - WPN311. i already owned the Belkins and Hawkings. i post all this hoping that others that are struggling can cut to the quick and end their connection misery.

mark