Thread: Crashing during boot

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Crashing during boot

Hi i have a real big problem in that when i try to boot up into ubuntu or kubuntu it seems to stall and not do anything. Usually when i power up it boots automatically but now it loads grub where i have tried every option (linux 2.6.31-20(19, 17, 16, 15, 14)-generic) in both regular and recovery mode. In regular mode it freezes on the kubuntu loading splash screen with my caps lock light flashing. In recovery it freezes at /sbin/init: relocation error: /sbin/init:symbol __abort_msg, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    Then it has 13 lines of numbers and other stuff. The caps lock light is also flashing.

Any help in what i can do? I seem to have lost my install disk so i cant do a fresh install but i have the iso on a usb hard drive so if it is possible to burn another disk somehow i can do that.

I dont have any other computers except my phone which im using now so any help will be really appreciated. Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Crashing during boot

Heya,

You're up early for perth ^^

iso on a usb hard drive so if it is possible to burn another disk somehow i can do that.
    Do you have a spare empty usb drive?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

If you do pretty much plug it in then head the system menu > administration > usb startup disk creator > and just chose the iso and your usb drive and then you have yourself a boot drive.

Just need to choose to boot off the usb when booting up and you can reinstall, this is pretty much how I do all my installations these days.

The blinking caps lock like is a sign of a kernel panic, which is.. not good..

Hope you are able to solve your issues (btw check out the link in my signature )
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not up early, still up late

Thanks for the advice for the usb live disk, will do that in the future but i cant get ubuntu to load at all so i was hoping there was someway else of doing it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Do you have other kernel options from grub? (i.e. more than one normal and more than one recovery mode option)

If so, try one of those.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah i have 6 kernels and each freezes at the exact same spot

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ive attached a photo (i hope) of where it crashes incase that helps. I only have access via my phone atm so im not sure if i can include much more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

// Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the reply again, I ended up getting a friend to burn me new instal disk anddid a fresh install so no longer have the problem, and dont know how to fix it either...