Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Trash kills nautilus?

Beans

Opening Trash kills nautilus?

Edit: I'm marking this as "Solved"...although I do not believe the problem is solved, I've at least identified what the problem is (unstable version of libglib2.0) and I'll be rolling this package back to the previous version which is a confirmed fix (see link below). The root cause is of course still an issue, but that's for the developers. I've submitted a bug report, all the crash logs, a Valgrind log, and others have submitted multiple back traces...I'm sure the team has more than enough data to mine through to work out a solution.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions / assistance! What a community!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1395237

Hi All,

I just discovered a problem today, hope you can help...whenever I click on the trash icon, or right-click and select "Open trash" my desktop icons all disappear, and my conky disappears...I'm left with my desktop background, and the upper and lower tool / status bars...but no Icons.

I have the desktop cube, it's still working...not sure what is happening here...any help?

Thanks!

Just an edit: Also, if I open a Nautilus window, and select "Trash" the nautilus window crashes out as well.
    Edit #2: Running Ubuntu Jaunty with latest updates...also, I can't find a .Trash folder in my home directory
    Last edited by bpowell2005; February 2nd, 2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Marking as solved

Beans

Re: Opening Trash kills nautilus?

Here's an update:

When looking at /var/log/messages, I see the following error appear any time I click the trash icon:

Jan 31 11:40:04 computer kernel: [ 609.482053] nautilus[4283]: segfault at 7f00656d614e ip 00007f6aba315169 sp 00007fff2456db10 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.2200.3[7f6aba2bb000+c6000]

Help! Please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bpowell2005 View Post
    Here's an update:

When looking at /var/log/messages, I see the following error appear any time I click the trash icon:

Jan 31 11:40:04 computer kernel: [ 609.482053] nautilus[4283]: segfault at 7f00656d614e ip 00007f6aba315169 sp 00007fff2456db10 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.2200.3[7f6aba2bb000+c6000]

Help! Please!
    Try removing the trash can from the panel and then add it back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Also, check if there's a folder in ~/.local/share
    Use Dropbox! Sign up using this link: http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEyMzg5Nzc5 and get free space!!
    Registered Linux User #525815
    Check out Musik - a FOSS text-to-music converter!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Try removing the trash can from the panel and then add it back.
    Okay, remove and replace trash can does not help.

If I empty the trash, then I can open it just fine...however, once there is something in the trash, it causes this segfault.

Natulius will also segfault if I go to "Computer" from places or "Network"...I just updated the computer today...and libglib was updated...it seems like this could be related?

I tried to force the "Jaunty updates" version of libglib 2.0 (2.20xxx instead of 2.22.xxx) but Ubuntu wanted to remove a LOT of programs as a related task...

I'm not sure what's going on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chaanakya_chiraag View Post
    Also, check if there's a folder in ~/.local/share
    Yes, it's located in .local/share/Trash/files... thanks! Still having the segfault.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Does it segfault if you open up ~/.local/share/Trash/files?
    Use Dropbox! Sign up using this link: http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEyMzg5Nzc5 and get free space!!
    Registered Linux User #525815
    Check out Musik - a FOSS text-to-music converter!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi, I'm having the same issue. any news?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chaanakya_chiraag View Post
    Does it segfault if you open up ~/.local/share/Trash/files?
    No, I can browse via nautilus and terminal to the Trash files location without a segfault.

Upon further testing, I also get a segfault when I click on "Places > Computer" or "Places > Network"

I'm running 9.04, fully updated (problem started after the last round of updates). I'm seeing this reported more and more...seems to be restricted to 64-bit folks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ohrer View Post
    Hi, I'm having the same issue. any news?
    No news...this is very frustrating, as a general rule, I've never seen Ubuntu break after updates! This is a first for me.

You're running AMD64 version of Ubuntu? Did this just happen after recent updates?

I've submitted a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/515336) please check the bug out, subscribe to it, and click the "this affects me" button...Hopefully we'll get this resolved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast