Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Huawei E122 Mobile Broadband HSPA USB Stick

Beans

Huawei E122 Mobile Broadband HSPA USB Stick

Ubuntu version = 9.10 (netbook remix)
    Kernel = 2.6.31-19-generic i686
    Hardware = Asus EEE PC 701sd

I'm trying to use a Huawei E122 USB stick to connect to the internet on UK mobile network "3". I've tried all kinds of ways to get it to work but with no joy.

Starting off in network manager adding a new Mobile Broadband connection, the device is automatically recognised as "HUA WEI Huawei Mobile". I then choose the right country and network and this sets the APN as "3internet", the number to dial as *99# and the username and password blank. I then try to connect. Nothing happens for a few seconds, then I just get a network manager message saying "GSM Network - Disconnected - You are now offline". I've tried changing the dial number to *99***1# which is the number used in Windows, and I've tried entering various things for username/password but nothing makes a difference.

The next thing I tried was connecting using wvdial in the terminal. I ran "sudo apt-get install wvdial". Then I ran wvdialconf, which generates the following /etc/wvdial.conf file:

[Dialer Defaults]
    Init2 = AT0Q V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
    Modem Type = Analog Modem
    ; Phone = <Target Phone Number>
    ISDN = 0
    ; Username = <Your login name>
    Init1 = ATZ
    ; Password <Your Password>
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    Baud = 9600
    I edited wvdial.conf to look like this:

[Dialer Defaults]
    Init2 = AT0Q V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
    Phone = *99#
    ISDN = 0
    Username = three
    Init1 = ATZ
    Password = three
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    Baud = 9600
    Next I ran sudo wvdial. This was the output:

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    --> Cannot get information for serial port.
    --> Initializing modem.
    --> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    OK
    --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
    OK
    --> Modem Initialized.
    --> Sending: ATDT*99#
    --> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT*99#
    CONNECT 7200000
    --> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
    --> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
    --> Starting pppd at Thu Mar 11 16:15:41 2010
    --> Pid of pppd: 2570

This goes on with a few lines of pppd: p[08]9 ? and includes "Authentication (CHAP) successful" but then I get this:

--> Disconnecting at Thu Mar 11 16:15:42 2010
    --> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
    --> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
    --> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information.
    It then Auto Reconnects over and over.

I have tried adding the line "Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","3internet"" to wvdial.conf and I have tried things like "Stupid Mode = 1" as well as changing the dial number, username, password etc. Whatever I do I still get the same output from wvdial.

I have also tried connecting using various versions of Vodafone Mobile Connect (with ozerocdoff and usb-modeswitch installed) but it seems to give a similar result; the device is recognised and it gets so far in connecting but then it just fails.

Everything I've tried is just based on stuff I have found on forums. I'm actually a complete ubuntu newbie and now completely out of things to try. Any ideas other than taking it back to the shop? Thanks.

[EDIT] Sorry forgot to mention - I also installed the program "3connect" through wine. It's the windows dialer program that comes on the stick, installation seemed to go fine, but again it can't connect. I should mention that I can connect using this same stick absolutely fine in windows xp.
    Last edited by jd87; March 11th, 2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Re: Huawei E122 Mobile Broadband HSPA USB Stick

It's so nice to see the ubuntu community is so helpful and welcoming to it's users. Sigh.

Beans
    Hidden!

hi

I am not sure if the user and password are correct in the NM

have a look here

http://polishlinux.org/linux/ubuntu/...-ubuntu-linux/
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

Hi jd87;

sorry to hear of your troubles: if you didn't get help initially, it is because there are only two very knowledgable folks who can help with mobile broadband: GeorgeVita and alexfish; and that's about it; so no answer means: they ain't on-line !

You are to be commended for all the work and googling you have done: you have learnt a lot in a very short space of time

I was able to get a ZTE modem working using wvdial; using a script GeorgeVita suggested: looks slightly different to yours; and uses ttyUSB2 rather than USB0 and I am cannot remember which search identifies which to use: but ttyUSB2 works for me!

my wvdial.conf file is below and I have added what seems to be the UK 3 APN setting

from this

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f...settings-7744/

[Dialer Defaults]
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB2
    ISDN = 0
    Baud = 460800
    Dial Attempts = 1
    Username = user
    Password = pass
    Init1 = ATZ
    Init2 = AT&F &D2 &C1
    Init3 = ATS7=60 S30=0 S0=0
    Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","three.co.uk"
    Phone = *99#
    Stupid Mode = 1
    I can only offer this for trial; I have been very pleased with wvdial;

Ubuntu 9.10 has not been a happy story with mobile broadband: if you tell us what

uname -r
    says; the latest updates of 9.10 seem to be okay; you need to update to the 2.6.31.19 kernel I think .........

control-c cancels the connection, once you establish it

....... looking at alex's post to the polishlinux thread,

Found a modem on /dev/ttyUSB1.
    was what the wvdial configure found ....... so you can only try ttyUSB1 if ttyUSB2 or ttyUSB0 do not help
    Last edited by pdc; March 19th, 2010 at 10:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Hum.

Having just had a really bad experience with a Vodafone PAYG dongle on one friend's lappie (which ended up with me having to switch them to Win XP) I'm now researching the situation for another friend.

I went in to the 3 shop and they let me try their dongle, which was an E122. I got exactly the same results that I'm seeing in this post and everywhere else I've Googled.

It looks to me like this modem is basically not going to work with Ubuntu at this stage. I'm running the beta of Lucid on my own laptop, so I guess I may give that a go, but I'm not sure I want to turn my friend into a beta tester!

3 also say they can provide a ZTE MF627, and it looks like there me be more chance of getting this running. I don't know if that'll end up giving a slower connection though...

Anyhow, according to alexfish's link, 3 give you 3 days to return it, so perhaps I'll give that a go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i got my wvdial working with e220 ,it dials and i can connect (thats how im writing this now). but its not showing the connection in my notification area.

when i "ifconfig i get :
    Code:
    ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol  
              inet addr:41.13.215.166  P-t-P:10.64.64.64  Mask:255.255.255.255
              UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:3 
              RX bytes:178 (178.0 B)  TX bytes:205 (205.0 B)
    my wvdial.conf is :
    Code:
    [Dialer Defaults]
    New PPPD = yes
    Dial Command = ATDT
    Dial Attempts = 1
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    ISDN = 0
    Baud = 115200
    Username = vodafone
    Password = vodafone
    Init1 = ATZ
    Init2 = AT&F E1 V1 X1 &D2 &C1 S0=0

[Dialer hspa]
    Phone = *99***16#
    Stupid Mode = 1
    Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"

[Dialer myPIN]
    Init4 = AT+CPIN=1234
    by the way ,1234 is not my real pin code
    Last edited by snip3r8; March 26th, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
    Registered Linux user: #543082
    Registered Ubuntu user: #34219
    http://dvisagie.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, for what it's worth, I have the Huawei E122 (Three Network Ireland) and I have used it on 3 different computers with Ubuntu (9.10, 10.04 and UNR10.04) and it works perfectly on all of them. All I had to do was:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install usb-modeswitch libusb-dev
    And then reboot. After login just plug-in the dongle and you'll see it on NM, click and follow the wizard.
    Sometimes it requires to goes for it to connect, as in, the first time it connects and disconnects straight away, unplug and plug again and attempt a second time to connect and all is good, this only happens sometimes, I can live with it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lunatico View Post
    Ok, for what it's worth, I have the Huawei E122 (Three Network Ireland) and I have used it on 3 different computers with Ubuntu (9.10, 10.04 and UNR10.04) and it works perfectly on all of them. All I had to do was:
    Code:
    And then reboot. After login just plug-in the dongle and you'll see it on NM, click and follow the wizard.
    Sometimes it requires to goes for it to connect, as in, the first time it connects and disconnects straight away, unplug and plug again and attempt a second time to connect and all is good, this only happens sometimes, I can live with it.
    gotta get you a guinness for that absolute legend of a post. just saved my head hittin the wall lol. cheers mate
    Last edited by merlin_ie; July 30th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
    Linux...The mistress we all left Windows for

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Huawei E122 Mobile Broadband HSPA USB Stick

Quote Originally Posted by lunatico View Post
    Code:
    You are a total star!! I just dumped ******* 7 from my sons Dell Netbook (it was unusable) and having shown him how amazing Ubuntu Netbook Remix is he was then a bit dissapointed that his 3 mobile wouldn't work. Thanks to your genius, he is now an ubuntu convert. Once again a BIG thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by biometricstu View Post
    he is now an ubuntu convert. Once again a BIG thanks
    YES! Keep the converts coming!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast