Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus embedded terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Nautilus embedded terminal

First, I am NOT trying to embed a terminal to my desktop.

I am looking for something that will embed a terminal into a nautilus file browsing window that will "follow" where I browse to. Meaning I want it to update the directory to current Nautilus working directory. I often have to go to command for doing root-level file actions and don't want to have to use "open terminal here." Does anyone know if this is possible? Would be a fun tool for me to have.
    Guides: Medibuntu. Dell laptop fans.
    Running 8.10 on Dell Vostro 1500 with Openbox. Using WINE for gaming.
    Follow me on twitter.
    Email me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Nautilus embedded terminal

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Why don't you just

Code:
    gksudo nautilus

Beans
    Distro

I would rather do some operations from terminal. Just preference I guess....
    Follow me on twitter.
    Email me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sirjoebob View Post
    I am looking for something that will embed a terminal into a nautilus file browsing window that will "follow" where I browse to.
    I don't know about nautilus, but the dolphin file browser in KDE4.1 has this feature.. can you install dolphin in your Gnome installation and see if it works for you? (See attached screenshot, along the bottom. Note the "cd /bin" command was automatically placed by Dolphin when I changed folders by clicking on /bin")
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by prshah; July 14th, 2009 at 05:18 PM.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    I don't know about nautilus, but the dolphin file browser in KDE4.1 has this feature.. can you install dolphin in your Gnome installation and see if it works for you?
    I may give that a try. I do rely on some nautilus integration stuff though... Great suggestion.
    Follow me on twitter.
    Email me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sirjoebob View Post
    First, I am NOT trying to embed a terminal to my desktop.

I am looking for something that will embed a terminal into a nautilus file browsing window that will "follow" where I browse to. Meaning I want it to update the directory to current Nautilus working directory. I often have to go to command for doing root-level file actions and don't want to have to use "open terminal here." Does anyone know if this is possible? Would be a fun tool for me to have.
    You should use Ubuntu Tweak or Nautilus Action Configuration to add Open Terminal to context menu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Operan View Post
    You should use Ubuntu Tweak or Nautilus Action Configuration to add Open Terminal to context menu.
    I have this already but would like an in-window terminal for quick and dirty tasks.
    Follow me on twitter.
    Email me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Let me know if you get this to work. It sounds awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey, I was thinking about what I waste my time on and realized that it is very inconvenient that terminal and nautilus are not integrated.

Normally I have lots of terminal tabs and windows and lots of Nautilus ones, and I use terminal history a lot, and sometimes some open ssh sessions, so I cannot close terminal, but also sometimes I copy files by nautilus, or open them from nautilus for editing. It is so annoying to type "cd blah-blah-blah" in terminal or when I see a file in Nautilus to copy and paste its name/full path to the terminal. And I have to keep track of which terminal tabs are open in which directories.
    So I was thinking about it, recalled good old times of Norton commander, tried Midnight commander, so I had this ideas:

• The best things in NC/MC were Ctrl+O to switch from panels to shell and back and Alt+Enter to copy file name to the command line
    • The two-panelness of NC/MC is not good - with time people started to use single-panel file managers, which effectively is multi-panel because now you can have as many directories open as you want, not just two
    • MC cannot have drag-and-drop for files. Also it doesn't know gnome's file associations. Also it is text-mode.

So I got an idea very similar to yours. I was happy that I found your post but unhappy that nobody implemented it.

I spent yesterday evening on playing with nautilus sources and made some "mock/up" thing - I modified nautilus to include an input box below the main view:
    Screenshot-nautilus-2.30.1 - File Browser-1.png

As you see I type "make". If I press "Enter" the command executes. I can see the result if I press Ctrl+o:
    Screenshot-nautilus-2.30.1 - File Browser-2.png

I don't know how to handle switching of directories better. If I change directory in the nautilus it doesn't change directory in the terminal. I may simply send "cd <directory>" to the terminal, but if the terminal is running a program this program will receive just the string "cd <directory>", which is not what we want.

Is anyone still interested in this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast