Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can not turn off my comp

Beans

Re: I can not turn off my comp

Hi Zedi,

Your query seems to be somewhat weird. Don't mind bad. I am not a right person to assist. In this case, we need to take the advise of my computer genius friend. I will forward your query to them right away. But I think due to the weekend I might not get a quick reply from them.

I think we need to wait till Tuesday. Meanwhile you can try the suggestion of other members which are been posted here.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Could be a typo zedi. That's sysv-u t i l s, not sysv-u t l l s.
    Old As Dust.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

alienclone,
    remove the failing HDD?
    <> I would love to do that, and one day I will have to – when I figure out, how. The problem is – its a disk with Winblows and boot sector, so correct me if I'm wrong but I think it will stuff up GRUB and I won't be able to boot my comp. Any suggestions?
    Can I somehow copy a boot sector and copy again to a new drive? Can I do the same with winblows, so I won't have to reinstall?
    I heard about ISO – image, but never touch it and I need someone to confirm, it will work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Shazaam,
    <> No, its not a typo.
    I goggled a bit, and it looks like sysv-utils s is now replaced by sysvinit-utils. So I did:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall sysvinit-utils

No result – still hangs on shutdown with lots of numbers generated by fsck &
    *not automatically fixing this....
    *Shutting down ALSA...
    *Asking all remaining processes to terminate...
    *Deconfiguring network interfaces...
    *Deactivating swap...
    then a blinking curso
    r

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Had the same problem and after some reading and fiddling I looked into /etc/rc0.d and compared it with the same folder in a parallel install which has no probs with shutdown. The file /etc/rc0.d/S90halt which is linked against script /etc/init.d/halt was gone, I don't know why.
    rc0.d is the runlevel seponsible for a clean shutdown and contains links to all for this shutdown process necessary scripts which are located in /etc/init.d.
    I fixed this and everything is fine.
    If 'S90halt' is missing in your /etc/rc0.d do the following:
    Code:
    sudo nautilus /etc/init.d
    right click the script named 'halt', create a link, cut and paste this into rc0.d, rename it to S90halt.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bluesscream,
    You are a legend!!! S O L V E D !

Bulls eye! The file /etc/rc0.d/S90halt was gone, and after I applied your solution, my system shutdowns properly. My Karmic is fully functional again!
    I still have residue from AutoFsck, hips of numbers generated by fsck & *not automatically fixing this...., during shutdown & booting - but I'm happy vegemite now.
    THX, TY, danke, merci, spasiba, dzięki etc.

Zedi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Glad to read your prob is solved too.
    Guess it had something to do with dist-upgrading from 9.04. In my other partition I had done a clean karmic x86_64 install for audio production and there I never had these shutdown issues. Reading around in some other threads I found that people solved this shutdown freeze by clean new install (like one is used to do in Bill Gate's playgrounds). They should have looked into shutdown runlevel rc0.d first. Im far away from beeing experienced and barely able to create a proper launchpad bug report, but fascinated what I can learn by studying this init.d and rc stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12