Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.10 karmic Radeon HD3650

Beans

9.10 karmic Radeon HD3650

I have searched several forums and tried dozens of methods to get this to work. Basically I have a Toshiba Laptop with a built in Radeon Mobility HD3650 Video card and would love to get 3D working.

I have tried installing the proprietary drivers from ati.com by both running the installer and building the .deb packages. I have tried installing the proprietary drivers from the repositories. No matter what I do when the system loads its just a black screen. I have successfully gotten it to run 3 or 4 times during my testing but once I reboot or shut down it will immediately stop working again. I am at a complete loss and willing to try anyone's suggestions.

Beans

Re: 9.10 karmic Radeon HD3650

Hi !
    Samo problem here, with HP EliteBook 8530p ...

F-cking ATI..

You can solve your issue with diable of ACPI i the grub.cfg file.
    ACPI=OFF

The the 3D effekt will work. but not very fast. Today I tried a HP 6930p with Intel HD400 . And that pc work with no problem at al. So When you choose ti buy a computer DON'T by ATI graphics !

// Roger B.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Plug in your laptop to an external monitor and power it on.

Report whether your external monitor displays your desktop, or whether it too black screens.
    I, for one, have found that an external works, but my laptop doesn't.
    =/

Beans

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to this thread, I inevitably solved the issue and decided I was due for some much needed sleep. Ultimately my solution was like this.

First I purged all fglrx drivers by this method found in the ubuntu wiki

Code:
      sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh  # (if it exists)
      sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
      sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon 
      sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
      sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    I deleted /etc/X11/xorg.conf, then rebooted my computer to make sure everything was cleaned up. I then installed the proprietary drivers from the repositories. After I installed these drivers but BEFORE I rebooted my system I typed the following into the terminal.

Code:
       sudo aticonfig --initial -f
       sudo aticonfig --acpi-services=off
    Once my system came back up everything has been working great since. I also do not experience this "slow" performance in 3D people are talking about.

TLR Use the drivers from the repositories not the drivers from ATI.com... and make sure you aticonfig properly.
    Last edited by lubberlick; November 6th, 2009 at 03:05 AM.

Beans

hi,

I've been finding a solution to this for a while, now I feel near the goal, but I miss a thing...

Sorry, but I'm really new to Ubuntu, so maybe my question will look quite stupid

What do you mean exactly with " I then installed the proprietary drivers from the repositories."?
    If you mean the "hardware driver" in system > administration, It gives me "no drivers available"...
    If you mean the standard repositories, which one should I choose?
    Last, maybe you mean official ATI drivers from their website... (catalyst 9.10 should be the last release).

Also... I have no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file... is it normal?

Thanks a lot
    Ale

Beans

if you open up Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for FGLRX you will see Xorg-Driver-FGLRX. This is what i installed. If you do not have a xorg.conf that is fine, the aticonfig commands will create it for you

Beans

I did what you said here. Actually it looked like "finally you found the answer!!!"... but it didn't work for me.
    The only solution I've find is taking out 2 of the 4 gig of RAM the laptop comes with and it runs really smooth, even 3D acceleration (it doesn't slow down anything) but, you know, I paid for EVERYTHING this laptop has so I'd love it to work properly.

I don't know if your Toshiba has 4g or it's another model.
    Mine is a A350, this is, Core2 Duo processor, 4g RAM, the infamous ATI...

PS: Sorry for my English, I'm pretty sure it's all but correct.

Beans

By the way, there is nothing in my xorg.conf about acpi services... I don't really know if it should be there.

Beans

I solved

I did a fresh Karmic install, did all the suggested updates, and followed all the stpes from Lubberlick.

But I had the well known slow windows resize problem, also solved with this:
    https://launchpad.net/~launchpad-weyland/+archive/xserver-nobackfill

thanks a lot
    Ale

PS: my configuration is HP elitebook 8530p, Intel T9400, ATI radeon HD 3650, 3 GB ram
    Last edited by aleflocco; November 15th, 2009 at 01:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs up Re: 9.10 karmic Radeon HD3650

Looks like it worked for me too. I am able to log on 5 time successfully without any blank screen after installing the driver.

i think the acpi_services is the culprit.

Mine was fresh install and I was not having xorg.conf. I downloaded the driver from AMD/ATI website and installed the same. After installation I immediately gave the two command mentioned and then restarted. THinks worked so far.

No need to install the driver found in "Hardware Drivers" section which says tested by Ubuntu developers!

I hope it works for others. Using ubuntu/kubuntu 9.10 on Toshiba A305d.

Thanks lubberlick, good work!
    Last edited by manishsk; November 28th, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
    -- Manish

It takes time and patience to get into this, but once you are in, its just like another world you love to live in...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast